cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
LOL. At the end of the day, it's point differential.

I watched the Suns play the Spurs. They played better defense than the Jazz are playing.

Watching the Jazz is painful. Backdoor layups. 40 year old Michael Finley blowing by Fisher doing a reverse dunk. Boozer looks lost on defense.

Tony Parker setting up a picnic in the lane.
Point differential isn't only about team defense. The Suns are a better team than the Jazz thus the spread was tighter.

Booz plays bad defense, Fisher struggles on the perimeter, Memo can't keep behind Duncan, even still they collectively play better than a Suns squad who has a point who plays one half of the court, a power that doesn't care defensively, a center who is physically soft, and a bench who has no defensive presence.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Parker is really amazing me. If he can hit consistently out to 20 feet, he is just plain unguardable. He is as quick as Barbosa, and is the best finisher in the league. I am amazed at how he goes among the trees and almost never has his shot blocked, and picks up foul after foul.

The next thing you know he will pick up the court vision of Nash, and he will be just sick.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Point differential isn't only about team defense. The Suns are a better team than the Jazz thus the spread was tighter.

Booz plays bad defense, Fisher struggles on the perimeter, Memo can't keep behind Duncan, even still they collectively play better than a Suns squad who has a point who plays one half of the court, a power that doesn't care defensively, a center who is physically soft, and a bench who has no defensive presence.
You can opine all you want. It's all theory. Mine eyes have seen the glory.

Yes, Nash is not great on defense. Yes, Stoudemire can't guard Duncan and makes bad decisions on defense.

But don't tell me that the Jazz are playing better defense than the Suns.

Because that just makes you sound stupid.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #14
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Carlos Boozer is the worst defender in the NBA bar none. Anytime Febreeze Oberto goes off you suck. The jazz cant stop the Spurs from penetrating they are late on their rotations which leaves Bowen and Finley wide open. If they dont sag off of Bowen and Finley in the corners Parker and Ginobili score at will. The Spurs are just to talented and face it Sloan is being outcoached.
I can think of some worse defensive players:

Steve Nash (might be the defensively worst point in NBA history)
Chris Webber (dude can't move laterally to save his life)
Devon George (never understood his role with the Lakers)
Jamal Tinsley (a season away from playing himself out of the league)
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with Mike, the jazz are not as good defensively as Phoenix. Kurt Thomas did a very good job on Duncan, Tim still put up big numbers but at times he was frustrated and he couldnt back Thomas down. I have watched the whole Phoenix series 4 times now and the Spurs had to work for the majority of their baskets.

In the utah series they are running the most basic offense imagineable and utah is not doing things you learn in the 5th grade, like boxing out the shooter on free throws, switching on picks, and not letting your guy get behind you.

Boozer floats off of his guy like he is some weak side shot blocking force and it is just making him look foolish. he is not a great shot blocker, just stay home even if you do float over they will score over you or you will pick up a cheap foul.

I also think Parker is the quickest player in the NBA, his jump shot has looked great this year, and a lot of jazz fans said Williams was good enough to guard him, well this is no knock on Deron but i dont think anyone can guard him one on one especially on the perimeter.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:39 AM   #16
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I can think of some worse defensive players:

Steve Nash (might be the defensively worst point in NBA history)
Chris Webber (dude can't move laterally to save his life)
Devon George (never understood his role with the Lakers)
Jamal Tinsley (a season away from playing himself out of the league)

In this series they would all be more effective than Boozer, including Nash and Tinsley on Oberto.

He had a season average of 4 points nad 4 boards, he is averaging 14 a game in the series, and has yet to shoot one jump shot all layups and dunks, check out the shot chart:
Game1
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotch...meId=270520024
Game 2
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/shotch...meId=270522024
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

why the hell are the Jazz only putting in 3 guys to rebound on free throws? It's freaking ridiculous. All the long misses are going to the Jazz. It's just mindboggling to see AK on the 3 point line with his hands in his pockets while the Spurs collect the missed free throw.

Come on, this is basic stuff!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 AM   #18
cougjunkie

Quote:
why the hell are the Jazz only putting in 3 guys to rebound on free throws? It's freaking ridiculous. All the long misses are going to the Jazz. It's just mindboggling to see AK on the 3 point line with his hands in his pockets while the Spurs collect the missed free throw.

Go back to my previous post about them being outcoached.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #19
fusnik11

The Jazz are not as good as the Spurs. They don't match up well, they allow the Spurs to dictate pace, they struggle with defensive rotations, offensively they look sluggish, no surprise to anyone who has watched the Jazz or the Spurs this year.

But to say Phoenix is a better defensive team? Puhleaze...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 AM   #20
fusnik11

Quote:

This really makes no sense.