cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #21
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Go back to my previous post about them being outcoached.
It's not hard to outcoach the Jazz when at almost every position you have superior players with superior experience.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
This really makes no sense.
It's called blocking out everyman including the shooter. I learned this in the 3rd grade.

The Jazz are still discovering this concept. Maybe Charles Barkeley will say something. Because apparently Charles is the only one the Jazz players will listen to.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 AM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

What a bunch of freakin' nihilists.

Jazz in 7. Mark my words.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #24
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's called blocking out everyman including the shooter. I learned this in the 3rd grade.

The Jazz are still discovering this concept. Maybe Charles Barkeley will say something. Because apparently Charles is the only one the Jazz players will listen to.
The Jazz rebound just fine. Long rebounds are the bane of a defender's existence.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
The Jazz rebound just fine. Long rebounds are the bane of a defender's existence.
Not when you have only 3 rebounders on the free throw. WHo was blocking out the shooter? No one.

When you can have the advantage TAKE IT.

Better to have 4 in there than 3, even if one person will not have a blockout assignment.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
What a bunch of freakin' nihilists.

Jazz in 7. Mark my words.
are you a betting man?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:01 AM   #27
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

If the Jazz suck so bad in rebounding then it must be some kind of miracle they led the NBA in that category this season.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 AM   #28
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Not when you have only 3 rebounders on the free throw. WHo was blocking out the shooter? No one.

When you can have the advantage TAKE IT.

Better to have 4 in there than 3, even if one person will not have a blockout assignment.
Are you saying the jazz should cram another player into the paint directly after free throws?

I think all NBA coaches need to go back to coaching third graders because I don't think I've ever seen this happen on a consistent basis.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #29
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to www.82games.com and look at the true defensive numbers: Phoenix is a better defensive team a few of the numbers:

1. effective fg% which includes the difficulty of a 3 point shot- utah 49.9, PHO 49.3

2. Scoring defense- PHO gave up 103.0 points per game, and Utah only gave up 97.3 however Phoenix offense is set up to where they shoot early in the shot clock, so teams averaged 9 more possessions per game vs Pho. take the 49.3% on Fieldgoals and the fact that the jazz force turnovers on 15% of possession and you still give up another 6 points a game for utah which puts the scoring defense for Utah at 103.3 which is higher. Also Pho scored 110.2 a game and Utah only scored 93.

3. layups and dunks- teams averaged 9.9 points per game on layups and dunks verses utah and only 7.5 vs phoenix.

4. 38% of utahs opponents took a shot within the first 10 seconds of the shotclock, 35% of PHO did. Which to me proves that Pho has at least better transition D and plays defense for a lot longer. Also with the shot clock under 5 Phoenixs opponents shot 43% Utahs shot 45%, which shows they play D for the full 24 seconds.

5. offensive rebounding- opponents had an offensive board 26% of the time vs Pho and 30% of the time vs Utah. Defensive rebounding and boxing out is the key to playing good D.

Phoenix did all this while taking 40% of their offensive shots within the first 10 seconds on the shot clock and giving opponents 9 more possessions per game which is a huge number. Yet defensively they were still better than utah. That is throughout the season the difference between the two series is not even close.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #30
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's not hard to outcoach the Jazz when at almost every position you have superior players with superior experience.
That may be true but 100 games in to the season a good coach should have his players knowing the fundamentals of the game.