cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I dont think he has as long of a way as you think. We can compare numbers for their first 3 years in the league and see how they stack up. It wont be pretty and its not in Stocktons favor.
Stockton sat behind Ricky Green for 2 1/2 seasons...so OBVIOUSLY the numbers aren't going to be favorable. lol.....

Once Stockton was handed the reigns as the starting point guard....from that point on he dominated the point guard position in the league. He was THE point guard to which others aspired to play the game like. He lead the league is assists for 9 years running,,,breaking the single season assist record a few times in a row. I think Parker is a VERY Good player, but he's got a long ways to go to be compared to one of the greats of all time at his position.

That's a mind boggling stat.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 AM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Also David Robinson was not as much help to Duncan as you may think he averaged 14, 12 and 8 his last three years in San Antonio that is not stellar by any means.

Karl Malone was also only all defense first team 3 times from 1996-1999 and second team once back in 1987.

Duncan has been 7 times and second team 3 times. He has only been in the league for 10 years. he has also been first team all nba 9 times and second team once.

Not to mention Karl Malone played in 92 playoff games his first 10 years in the league add in the 13 he has played in this year and Duncan is already to 135.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #13
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Stockton sat behind Ricky Green for 2 1/2 seasons...so OBVIOUSLY the numbers aren't going to be favorable. lol.....

Once Stockton was handed the reigns as the starting point guard....from that point on he dominated the point guard position in the league. He was THE point guard to which others aspired to play the game like. He lead the league is assists for 9 years running,,,breaking the single season assist record a few times in a row. I think Parker is a VERY Good player, but he's got a long ways to go to be compared to one of the greats of all time at his position.

That's a mind boggling stat.
Stockton imo is the 3rd best point guard to ever play the game behind magic and isaiah i agree he is better than parker but you cant compare careers when one guy is only 25, so the best you can do is compare where they were at this point in their respective careers, at this point (25 years old) Parker is better than stockton was. Now we all know Stockton took it to another level over the next few years but if the playoffs are any indication Parker might do the same.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

MJ and Co. Would eat this SA team alive. It helped tremendously that Jordan retired in order for SA to get their titles.

If we're talking Stock, Malone and Horny during the years the Jazz went to the finals:

John Stockton would make Parker whimper like a cowardly Frenchman. Stockton was a terrific defender and had a way of making quicker point guards cry like little girls. And there is no way Parker could stop Stockton from getting the ball to whomever Stock wanted to pass. People also choose to ignore that Stock cold score at will if he felt he needed to. Watch the 4th quarter of Game 6 of the '97 Finals against Houston for proof of that.

I'll give Duncan the edge over Malone because of Duncan's length; however, Malone's strength is so superior that he would beat the hell out of Duncan on defense and make Duncan work so hard to guard Malone, this could actually be a wash.

Ginoboli is more versatile, but don't underestimate Horny. He was better at coming of screens for mid to long range jumpers and had a knack of not getting the ball slapped away or his shot blocked. And the screens those Jazz teams would set to free up Hornacek would beat the hell out of Ginoboli and eventually tire him out. For that reason, I give the advantage to Horny.

Again, MJ and the Bulls would destroy this SA team. He's the only reason Stock, Malone and Horny don't have two rings. Jazz choked it away in '99 in the shortened season and SA won it, but remember, Jordan was gone and it wasn't SA that ousted Utah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
MJ and Co. Would eat this SA team alive. It helped tremendously that Jordan retired in order for SA to get their titles.

If we're talking Stock, Malone and Horny during the years the Jazz went to the finals:

John Stockton would make Parker whimper like a cowardly Frenchman. Stockton was a terrific defender and had a way of making quicker point guards cry like little girls. And there is no way Parker could stop Stockton from getting the ball to whomever Stock wanted to pass. People also choose to ignore that Stock cold score at will if he felt he needed to. Watch the 4th quarter of Game 6 of the '97 Finals against Houston for proof of that.

I'll give Duncan the edge over Malone because of Duncan's length; however, Malone's strength is so superior that he would beat the hell out of Duncan on defense and make Duncan work so hard to guard Malone, this could actually be a wash.

Ginoboli is more versatile, but don't underestimate Horny. He was better at coming of screens for mid to long range jumpers and had a knack of not getting the ball slapped away or his shot blocked. And the screens those Jazz teams would set to free up Hornacek would beat the hell out of Ginoboli and eventually tire him out. For that reason, I give the advantage to Horny.

Again, MJ and the Bulls would destroy this SA team. He's the only reason Stock, Malone and Horny don't have two rings. Jazz choked it away in '99 in the shortened season and SA won it, but remember, Jordan was gone and it wasn't SA that ousted Utah.
This my friend is why you need to stick to baseball. You had me all the way up until you said stock could guard tony parker, parker would blow by him so fast, then what? Malone would be on Duncan so he couldnt help, it would be Parker and Ostertag one on one at the rim, i like the frenchmens chances.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Stockton imo is the 3rd best point guard to ever play the game behind magic and isaiah i agree he is better than parker but you cant compare careers when one guy is only 25, so the best you can do is compare where they were at this point in their respective careers, at this point (25 years old) Parker is better than stockton was. Now we all know Stockton took it to another level over the next few years but if the playoffs are any indication Parker might do the same.

Isaiah? You think he is better than Stockton? Not even close in MO. I would put Magic at numver one, and then, if one considers Oscar Robertson a point, he is my number two, and then Stockton. WIthout the big O, Stockton is a cleear number two and it isn't even close. Parker has played very well this year, and he is very quick, exposing very clearely the lack of permitere quickness on the Jazz, but he is nowhere near the coimplete package that Stockton had, and while Stockton might not have been able to guard Parker man on man, he woudl have made parker work very hard for it and would have played defense well with teammates to keep parker from having as many easy looks and lanes as he is getting now.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
This my friend is why you need to stick to baseball. You had me all the way up until you said stock could guard tony parker, parker would blow by him so fast, then what? Malone would be on Duncan so he couldnt help, it would be Parker and Ostertag one on one at the rim, i like the frenchmens chances.
You must not remember just how good Stockton really was. Stockton in his prime was quick enough to guard Parker because he knew how to play defense. Remember, Parker hasn't had to play against any PGs that are in Stock's class.

At the end of his career, Stock had lost a step, but in the years in his prime nobody in the league was better than him. It helped that Magic had retired by then, but I'll stand by my statement.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #18
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You must not remember just how good Stockton really was. Stockton in his prime was quick enough to guard Parker because he knew how to play defense. Remember, Parker hasn't had to play against any PGs that are in Stock's class.

At the end of his career, Stock had lost a step, but in the years in his prime nobody in the league was better than him. It helped that Magic had retired by then, but I'll stand by my statement.
and the Orioles are the best franchise in baseball history
Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
and the Orioles are the best franchise in baseball history
For the record, we're both being homers here, right?

Nope, that would be the Yankees, despite the fact that they are evil.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #20
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Junkie, you made good arguments until you mention how Stockton could not handle or guard Parker. Stockton spent his entire career going against the fastest pgs in the game during that time in Iverson, Payton, Porter, Isiah, Marbury, etc. and Stockton more than held his own.

You have a debate on Duncan vs. Malone and I would probably give the edge to Ginoboli over Horny...but it is not even close in regards to Stockton vs. Parker. Maybe in a few, absolute terrific seasons for Parker, then you can try and make any kind of comparison...but for now, it aint close.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote