cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #21
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thank you Chino - nothing more relaxing than a sunny day, a dog and a drink (Sprite of course). Even a Nationals game can be fun if you don't care who wins.....at any cost.
any time. but if nats don't start winning I'm gonna root for the opposing team.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Your golf example is a poor one, because they are not the same. Not even close. Should a basketball player not yell or put his arms up in the air right when someone shoots a free throw like they do ALL the time? Should a defensive tackle not try and yell while a QB is making a call so that he doesn't interrupt the QB and Offensive Lineman. Baseball snobs deserve to be mocked for holding irrational thoughts like this.

He didn't break any rules or ethics. Win at all costs without cheating. He did that.
that's a good observation. i've noticed that the more mentally tough the sport is, the more you have to intimidate your opponent. that's why boxers talk so much trash.

although there is room for class.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Sorry, no Jacobs Field for me. I hate the Indians. But we can go to Great American to see Adam Dunn, the Matt Harpring of baseball.

It's not that I hate baseball. I enjoy the sport and watch it when I can. I do hate the whining associated with the "unwritten rules." Relax on the tradition and let the players loosen up and they might get some more fans.
The Matt Harpring of baseball are you kidding me. Dunn is a great baseball player, comparing him to Matt Harpring is an insult.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
"Baseball snobs"? Is that the best you can do? Call me after you grow into your jockstrap and have played any sport at an elite level. Maybe then we can discuss sports on an equal basis.
Whether I've played sport at an elite level has zero to do with actual topic at hand, obviously, but I'm sure your MLB experience sneaking around in your Phillie Phanatic costume while air humping the Milwaukee Brewer Sausage Derby Mascot winner trumps us all. Air humping a sausage mascot..sheesh...talk about bush league...

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 06-01-2007 at 11:26 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #25
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think hardcore baseball fans are a different breed. They do have an arrogance about them, and feel like baseball is americas past time and should be held sacred. Hell, have you ever heard of a team cursed in football?

It is what lifted everyones spirits after Vietnam, and 9-11. We all grew up playing it whether in a vacant lot behind our house or in the street.

I am a huge baseball fan and I have to say that I dont think what Arod did was bush league because he just yelled AHHHHHHHHH! and thats not how you call for the ball, however it was borderline.

On a side note my favorite bit of irony in baseball history: Calling out Babe Ruth. — Pedro Martinez did this on May 31, 2001, saying, "I don't believe in curses. Wake up the damn Bambino. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." Martinez failed to win a game the rest of the year, and the Sox lost their final seven games to the Yankees in a season in which they failed to make the playoffs. The Sox also lost both games Pedro started against the Yanks in the 2003 ALCS.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think hardcore baseball fans are a different breed. They do have an arrogance about them, and feel like baseball is americas past time and should be held sacred. Hell, have you ever heard of a team cursed in football?

It is what lifted everyones spirits after Vietnam, and 9-11. We all grew up playing it whether in a vacant lot behind our house or in the street.

I am a huge baseball fan and I have to say that I dont think what Arod did was bush league because he just yelled AHHHHHHHHH! and thats not how you call for the ball, however it was borderline.

On a side note my favorite bit of irony in baseball history: Calling out Babe Ruth. — Pedro Martinez did this on May 31, 2001, saying, "I don't believe in curses. Wake up the damn Bambino. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." Martinez failed to win a game the rest of the year, and the Sox lost their final seven games to the Yankees in a season in which they failed to make the playoffs. The Sox also lost both games Pedro started against the Yanks in the 2003 ALCS.
Is that when Pedro said that the Yankees were making him His Daddy? Basically conceding that he was their bitch that year? lol
Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #27
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Is that when Pedro said that the Yankees were making him His Daddy? Basically conceding that he was their bitch that year? lol
yep that was it. He also went on the DL 3 times after that, had a sub 3.00 era and was leading the league in wins and Ks at the time. Dont mess with the Babe.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #28
RockyBalboa

Quote:
yep that was it. He also went on the DL 3 times after that, had a sub 3.00 era and was leading the league in wins and Ks at the time. Dont mess with the Babe.
Well he also did help to break the curse by winning a Ring with the Sox as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

ARod didn't break the rules, but what he did was bush-league. It tells me that ARod didn't have his head in the game and went to desperate measures in order to gain an advantage. It's like the Air Force chop block without the injury - within the rules, but the epitome of being a candyass.

As for golf, only those who can't play don't consider it a sport.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Don't forget the still ongoing curse of the billy goat. The Cubs will most likely suffer that for many, many more years.

And yes, we hardcore baseball fans are arrogant. As mpfunk so eloquently put it:

"There are two kinds baseball haters - those who don't understand it and those who are incapable of understanding it."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote