cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you know the names of more than 5 UFC fighters, there is a 95% chance you are white trash.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
If you dont like UFC you better get used to it. Because within the next 5 years it will be bigger than boxing with larger purses and more coverage.
Nah, I'll just continue to ignore it. It does nothing for me the few times I've seen it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I I don't see why more people can't let the two sports coexist without one being better than the other.
I agree with this. I think the problem UFC faces with traditional boxing fans is that grappling can be very boring to watch if it's not something you enjoy. Since the majority of UFC fights end up being fought on the ground, it probably alienates a lot of potential fans.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you know the names of more than 5 UFC fighters, there is a 95% chance you are white trash.
Let's not pretend that boxing still carries the respect it did pre-1980. Boxing has become a bit of a pariah amongst respectable folk. In short, there's a good chance you'd be considered trash either way.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

well Stacked wasnt real great.

3 of the 5 fights went the distance.

Tito and Rashad end up in a draw because Tito had a point taken away for hanging on to the cage. Disappointing fight Tito tried to push the tempo but Rashad kept backing away.

Sean Sherk dominated Hermes Franca, but couldnt put him away, he won all 5 rounds but he couldnt end the fight, kept passing his guard just never did anything after that.

Noguera took a huge kick to the head early from HErring, Heath jumped on him tried to finish him and then backed off and let him stand up for some stupid reason. The fight was over at that point but Herring let Noguera recover, Minatauro came back and won the fight handily.

Anderson Silva never disappoints some of the best striking i have ever seen, he dominated Marquardt, got full mount and dropped some bombs, ending the fight in the 1st round.

Kenny Florian fought a similar fight to Silva getting full mount early and dropping bombs, Robinson actually submitted while being punched.

My problem with MMA recently as well as boxing (i watched Klistchko today) is their is no sense of urgency. If you are being beaten on the scorecards and you know it, why not come out in the final round with no fear? You are going to lose regardless who cares if you get knocked out? I think most people realize win or lose they are getting a big pay day so who cares what happens.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
well Stacked wasnt real great.

3 of the 5 fights went the distance.

Tito and Rashad end up in a draw because Tito had a point taken away for hanging on to the cage. Disappointing fight Tito tried to push the tempo but Rashad kept backing away.

Sean Sherk dominated Hermes Franca, but couldnt put him away, he won all 5 rounds but he couldnt end the fight, kept passing his guard just never did anything after that.

Noguera took a huge kick to the head early from HErring, Heath jumped on him tried to finish him and then backed off and let him stand up for some stupid reason. The fight was over at that point but Herring let Noguera recover, Minatauro came back and won the fight handily.

Anderson Silva never disappoints some of the best striking i have ever seen, he dominated Marquardt, got full mount and dropped some bombs, ending the fight in the 1st round.

Kenny Florian fought a similar fight to Silva getting full mount early and dropping bombs, Robinson actually submitted while being punched.

My problem with MMA recently as well as boxing (i watched Klistchko today) is their is no sense of urgency. If you are being beaten on the scorecards and you know it, why not come out in the final round with no fear? You are going to lose regardless who cares if you get knocked out? I think most people realize win or lose they are getting a big pay day so who cares what happens.
I didn't order this one, but followed it on sherdog.com. Was the Tito point taken away legit? They reported a warning and then the point taken away. How did the fighters react to the draw? Tito must have been pissed because he would have won without the deduction. Evans is overrated IMO.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

A question:

Why do UFC fights only go 3 rounds, even for a championship fight?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #18
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I didn't order this one, but followed it on sherdog.com. Was the Tito point taken away legit? They reported a warning and then the point taken away. How did the fighters react to the draw? Tito must have been pissed because he would have won without the deduction. Evans is overrated IMO.
Tito grabbed the fence twice and he recieved a warning from Big John, then Rashad picked him up to slam him and Tito grabbed it again, and Big John took the point away. It was legit after the fight they asked Tito about it and his response was "if you aint cheating, you aint trying"
Tito should have won the fight, he had that guillotine in deep on Rashad.

Also Noguera had a headlock on Herring earlier and Herring was bleeding from his head, it was pretty sick watching Noguera squeeze blood out of his head, the tighter he sunk it in, the more blood that came out.

Il Padrino, championship fights go 5 rounds. They only go 3 rounds because each round in 5 minutes long. It is a lot more draining when you add the wrestling element as opposed to just standing and punching like boxing.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:33 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Tito grabbed the fence twice and he recieved a warning from Big John, then Rashad picked him up to slam him and Tito grabbed it again, and Big John took the point away. It was legit after the fight they asked Tito about it and his response was "if you aint cheating, you aint trying"
Tito should have won the fight, he had that guillotine in deep on Rashad.

Also Noguera had a headlock on Herring earlier and Herring was bleeding from his head, it was pretty sick watching Noguera squeeze blood out of his head, the tighter he sunk it in, the more blood that came out.

Il Padrino, championship fights go 5 rounds. They only go 3 rounds because each round in 5 minutes long. It is a lot more draining when you add the wrestling element as opposed to just standing and punching like boxing.
Got it. Thanks for the info.

Quick thread hijack/miscategorized post (miscategorized? is that even a word?):

Did you rent Primal Fear yet?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #20
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Got it. Thanks for the info.

Quick thread hijack/miscategorized post (miscategorized? is that even a word?):

Did you rent Primal Fear yet?
I actually went that night to the video store and they were out of it. I havent been back. Maybe that will be a good Sunday afternoon video to watch.