cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for the other runners here

I've had a hell of a time dragging myself out to run in this cold weather and I don't have the extra cash right now for a gym or to get a decent treadmill. Any suggestions on what brands/type of gear that you've found helpful to run in during the winter? I grabbed some Champion running pants/jacket at Costco a little while back but those damn things don't help at all.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know that I should be allowed to address your question as I live in CA and the coldest we'd ever have to run in would be high 20's and we haven't even approached that yet. In fact, I think it's 32 degrees only once on our morning runs this winter. However, 34 degrees isn't warm and so I'll tell you what I do. I rarely wear sweat pants, I don't really care if my legs feel cold and they always warm up fast and I wish I wasn't wearing the sweats. I always wear a knit cap and gloves. In addition I wear an underarmor type shirt underneath a long sleeved pullover (C9 from Target). I'm sometimes chilly the first mile, but after that it's just about perfect. Underarmour now sells a running mask that warms the face but breathes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I also will run as low as mid to high 20's, but that is as cold as we get.

I wear under armor (Walmart or Target), long sleeve jersey and cycling-type wind vest on the top. I also wear a knit stocking cap and gloves. I got a pair of running pants for Christmas that I've worn once and like so far.

I'm usually cold for 5-10 minutes, but fine after that.

Biking is another story, as I am covered with multiple layers from head to toe, with the only skin showing being the upper part of my nose.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I dress pretty much the same as those guys. I'm always sure to put a wicking shirt against my skin. That'll keep your skin dry and keep you from getting even more cold. The best place I've found to buy cheap but good gear is Walmart. The Starter stuff you can buy there is every bit as good as Nike, and about 1/3 the price. Over the base layer I'll put a tight fitting fleece jacket, that keeps the cold air from sneaking up through the bottom. Then just a cotton beanie and gloves.

I really don't mind the cold. When I first started running in winter my biggest mistake was overdressing. That'll wipe you out fast. The best tip I ever got was to make sure you're a little bit cold when you first leave your house. That means you're dressed just about right.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
The best place I've found to buy cheap but good gear is Walmart. The Starter stuff you can buy there is every bit as good as Nike, and about 1/3 the price.
I would add that Target's C9 (which is Champion) is also a good buy. Prices are about the same and you don't have to set foot in Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug
The best tip I ever got was to make sure you're a little bit cold when you first leave your house. That means you're dressed just about right.
I totally agree. Nothing worse than getting a mile out and realizing you're on fire.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

My running buddy owns a running store so I get my stuff for his cost.

I run in any weather, be it negative ten or hundred twenty.

Negative twenty is the coldest run I've experienced. I wear multiple layers of underarmor or Nike. I have some gloves for biking that are plenty warm and I use them for running as well. We're going to Brianhead and we will run up there after biking to the top.

In extreme cold, we will wear those warm thingies you buy at Target which we sometimes place in shoes and gloves. I have cappos and whatever. It doesn't cost much as I am el cheapo.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
ewth8tr

Thanks everyone for the advice. One last question, For the gloves, do you guys wear special running gloves or just any old pair of gloves?

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. One last question, For the gloves, do you guys wear special running gloves or just any old pair of gloves?
I bought a pair of knit gloves at Wal-Mart for $1. They are perfect.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
ewth8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I bought a pair of knit gloves at Wal-Mart for $1. They are perfect.
cool, i've got a few pairs of those. I went and grabbed the gear everyone suggested and I'm gonna go out and knock fuegote back to the second page where he belongs on the new years 5K challenge

Old 12-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I would add that Target's C9 (which is Champion) is also a good buy. Prices are about the same and you don't have to set foot in Wal-Mart.
That's true, I forgot about C9. I've got quite a few long sleeve C9 shirts that I wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
I have a pair of Nike gloves that I always wear, but just because they have a pocket in the palm that you can keep a gel or a car key in. Otherwise, any pair of gloves will do fine.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote