cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Seriously though, you hear fewer cases of elite level cyclists transitioning into an elite level in another sports.

The opposite is often true. Consider Eric Heiden, for one. Gold medal in speed skating, decides to get a pair and becomes an elite cyclist. I've seen other examples of elite runners becoming good cyclists as well.
I don't think the opposite is often true. WHo else, besides Heiden, can you name that went from an elite level in one sport to the elite level in pro cycling? Moreover, Heiden didn't exactly set the biking world on fire. Very average rider.

My perception is that very few elite athletes in any sport move to any other sport at the elite level, esepcially if there is a curveball involved.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seriously though, you hear fewer cases of elite level cyclists transitioning into an elite level in another sports.

The opposite is often true. Consider Eric Heiden, for one. Gold medal in speed skating, decides to get a pair and becomes an elite cyclist. I've seen other examples of elite runners becoming good cyclists as well.

But for some reason, the opposite is not always true.
I think you see no transition because once one's down with cycling, you're too old and not built for anyting else, whereas other sports leave one time to develop in other sports such as cycling.

Quote:
Those that take up other sports seem more often than not to do it for cross training in the cycling off-season. Running and cross country skiing seem to be most guys favorite here. A couple of guys on Discovery play hoops in the off season to stay in shape.

Archaea, who makes the best triathletes? Swimmers, bikers or runners? My guess, being a poor swimmer, is that swimmers have a distinct advantage, at least at recreational levels. At higher levels, I would guess you can probably win a race more with the bike than the other events. What do you think?
Best triathletes are runners.

Swimmers get you started, cyclists can win it, but usually just keep you in it, but a runner who's a good cyclist wins. You need to be fit enough so that the bike doesn't tank the run, but a runner at heart. I was an adequate runner eons ago, but knee problems have slowed my enthusiasm and fitness therein. Now, I need to buckle down and train running.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
creekster

Quote:
Did I get my chronology backward? Was Eric Heiden first a cyclist or a skater?
Heiden was a speedskater first. You are correct. He was a truly remarkable speedskater, in fact. As a cyclist I think he did OK in the US (may have won a championship or two) and started the TdF with the 7-11 team but was a dnf after dome sort of accident (I can't really recall the details) and that was pretty much all he ever did.

The thing about bike racing is that it is more than just aerobic capcity, it is also tactics and bike handling. Arch can priobably speak to this as I understand he does some crit racing from time to time, but racing is more than just the engine, you also need a good driver.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one here who really likes speed skating? That's a cool sport. But maybe it's the Netherlands Missionary in me.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Am I the only one here who really likes speed skating? That's a cool sport. But maybe it's the Netherlands Missionary in me.
I agree, it is very cool. Back in the day when my uncle was a competitve cyclist he did long track speed skating in winter to stay in shape. I used to go watch him as a kid and want to try it, but never actually did. It sure looked fun, however.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #16
Archaea

Well my engine isn't powerful enough, thus I need to know smarts.

Racking is tactics and fitness. And having a great team helps.

Crits are scary for old farts. You sit in and wait, just like they do in the Tour so that you can sprint the last 150. It is also where crashes occur. I'm usually back at the end of a crit, so I haven't had that disgrace.

Road racing is sitting in, waiting, watching weaknesses of opponents and attacking to break them, then recovering. Handling skills are important on technical races. Creek can help you here when he was winning.

I'm happy to finish races.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Its grown on me a bit in the past couple of winter olympics. The endurance aspect is interesting to me, but my frame of reference is not really there as I've never done it, so I don't really realize how hard it can be.

I don't really get the short track either. It is very graceful and looks like it would be very fun to do. But it is also very frustrating to watch. One guy loses an edge, takes the pack out, and all of a sudden the slowest guy in the race wins. I prefer a sport where the best guy (or team) usually wins.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #18
Archaea

NO l have loved it since the 1968 Grenoble Olympics. We've always done well in it, plus it's cool and fast.

I've tried it a bit, but it's tough to get the form done.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Oh man, this is so far from the truth. I am the ultimate wannabe. But for a few golden years when I was young and my legs were springy I am the never-really-was-but-talks-like-he-still-is poster child for biking. I am a sunday stroll in the park to Archaea's, Bg's and Steelblue's fast run, not to mention Q's 30 mph charge (soprry Q, but this is really a compliment).

Don't drag me into this. if I was any kind of decent cyclist, I would be able to climb. I hit anything above a 6% grade and I get my butt handed to me. Regularly.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote