cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Are there big differences between aluminium, carbon fiber and titanium frames? If so, what are the general differences... I really like the carbon fiber frame I got, but I'm not sure if an aluminum frame would be much different for me? would I be able to tell a difference over time?
Yes and no.

Top end aluminum can be very light and expensive, but in general, aluminium is heavier, stiffer, less comfortable and cheaper.

Carbon fiber is widely produced and can be stiff or not stiff. Stiff is good for heavy people or in short rides. Less stiff is better for lighter persons and for long rides.

Titanium is the most expensive, can be very stiff and very comfortable. My bike guys state that ti is too pricey even for them for what you get.

You can get your wife something from Trek in a package.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #22
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes and no.

Top end aluminum can be very light and expensive, but in general, aluminium is heavier, stiffer, less comfortable and cheaper.

Carbon fiber is widely produced and can be stiff or not stiff. Stiff is good for heavy people or in short rides. Less stiff is better for lighter persons and for long rides.

Titanium is the most expensive, can be very stiff and very comfortable. My bike guys state that ti is too pricey even for them for what you get.

You can get your wife something from Trek in a package.

How do I know if my carbon frame is stiff or not? I'm 5'11" 190 lbs.. Am I a heavier rider? Thanks for the advice on the Trek package... I'll look into it..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #23
bYuPride

Quote:
How do I know if my carbon frame is stiff or not? I'm 5'11" 190 lbs.. Am I a heavier rider? Thanks for the advice on the Trek package... I'll look into it..
Sorry about the billion questions... I guess I could do the research myself, I just like hearing info from people that I believe I can trust...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Giant may also be available. Cannondale and Specialized also have packages depending on predelictions of local bike shop.

Kestrel is typically a little stiffer than usual. How do you know? By comparison, talking to roadies and by reading about stiffness comparisons.

At 190, you're at the light end of heavy for a cyclist. You might be perfect for a sprinter type body, lots of power and speed. If you lose 20 pounds, you'd be perfect for almost any type riding.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #25
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a nother thought for your wife: REI sells a nice line of bikes (Novarra brand) with frame geometry designed just for women, and they would be very good for someone fo your wife's size. Prices vary depending on componentry, but they can be had for less than grand for some models. I would check those out as well.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #26
creekster

As to frame material, Arch has pretty fairly summarized. For someone your size CF should be great. I ride almost all aluminum, but I am a short and wide Clydesdale so the stiffness is actually a virtue for me.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Keep your head and your feet warm. Always ride into the wind to start your ride on a cold day. This way after you have built up a sweat you won't be fighting the wind and cold on your way home. If you do it's an experience you won't forget.

When I first started riding back in the 80's no one wore helmets or sunglasses, clip less pedals were unheard of and we had to reach down to our down tube to shift. We have come a long ways since then and it's all for the better. You don't need all the gear to enjoy riding but as you get better you will want to upgrade to nicer stuff. If you are comfortable, warm and fast it will make your riding experiences that much better.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 AM   #28
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Here is a nother thought for your wife: REI sells a nice line of bikes (Novarra brand) with frame geometry designed just for women, and they would be very good for someone fo your wife's size. Prices vary depending on componentry, but they can be had for less than grand for some models. I would check those out as well.
I saw that... I'm definitely going to check it out... is Novara a good brand? I think they sell Marin too..

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 AM   #29
creekster

Quote:
I saw that... I'm definitely going to check it out... is Novara a good brand? I think they sell Marin too..
Novara is REI's house brand. Taiwan or Korean made, I believe, and generally are a very competent bike.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #30
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Keep your head and your feet warm. Always ride into the wind to start your ride on a cold day. This way after you have built up a sweat you won't be fighting the wind and cold on your way home. If you do it's an experience you won't forget.

When I first started riding back in the 80's no one wore helmets or sunglasses, clip less pedals were unheard of and we had to reach down to our down tube to shift. We have come a long ways since then and it's all for the better. You don't need all the gear to enjoy riding but as you get better you will want to upgrade to nicer stuff. If you are comfortable, warm and fast it will make your riding experiences that much better.
I learned on my ride today, that's it's a good idea to have full finger gloves, a skully cap, either leg warmers or tights, a long sleeve jersey under my light weight shell, and something to go over my feet. I still enjoyed the ride and am glad I got to go out, but it was sure cold!

"I'm on my beater bike"