cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who was it that was taking order from the BYU cycling club re: their jerseys? Steelblue?

Were the jerseys custom-designed? If so, how did they get approval for use of BYU trademark? And was it costly?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #32
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Were the jerseys custom-designed? If so, how did they get approval for use of BYU trademark? And was it costly?
My dad once got approval to use the BYU trademarks for free for personal use. I'll try and find out how he did this and who he spoke to.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #33
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Who was it that was taking order from the BYU cycling club re: their jerseys? Steelblue?

It was my cousin who at the time was president of the Y cycling club. There was a collegiate licensing agreement that he had to receive. I believe that he had to go directly through the school once they had a design to present to them.

Louis Garneau is who made all the gear for them. I believe that they did the design as well, all part of the order. Their minimum order was 16 per item. I don't believe it was costly at all. They made a small profit on each item, but were still able to sell them for $65-70 for jerseys and bibshorts. Not a bad price for a high quality piece.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
It was my cousin who at the time was president of the Y cycling club. There was a collegiate licensing agreement that he had to receive. I believe that he had to go directly through the school once they had a design to present to them.

Louis Garneau is who made all the gear for them. I believe that they did the design as well, all part of the order. Their minimum order was 16 per item. I don't believe it was costly at all. They made a small profit on each item, but were still able to sell them for $65-70 for jerseys and bibshorts. Not a bad price for a high quality piece.

how many did they end up selling total?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #35
bluegoose

Quote:
how many did they end up selling total?
I just pulled up the order from 2005, when we all (creek, Arch, steel, myself) got our gear and they got about 40 jerseys, 25-30 bibs and 30 gloves.

Fewer orders last year.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

if we want a nice design, I'm probably going to have to pay my brother. he's busy enough now that he may not be keen on doing something like this for gratis. but maybe I can tell him that he won't have to get me a christmas present (which he doesn't do half the time anyway) and that will be sufficient bribe.

here is the jersey he did for my dad's club. obviously I'm going to want something a little more fierce than an armadillo on a bike.

Also some pics here:

http://www.brazoscyclists.org/bvcjersey.html
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #37
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
if we want a nice design, I'm probably going to have to pay my brother. he's busy enough now that he may not be keen on doing something like this for gratis. but maybe I can tell him that he won't have to get me a christmas present (which he doesn't do half the time anyway) and that will be sufficient bribe.

here is the jersey he did for my dad's club. obviously I'm going to want something a little more fierce than an armadillo on a bike.

Also some pics here:

http://www.brazoscyclists.org/bvcjersey.html
Good quality...I'll bet he does a fantastic job.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #38
bluegoose

Thats a very nice design. How much would we be talking?

And thats weak that the third picture down on that link of "Sherman Waters" doesn't show up. Afraid to show your face Waters? And here I always thought your name was Mike, Sherman.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #39
bluegoose

Another thing - I'm a little concerned that the armadillo isn't wearing his helmet in that design. At least here in California we have helmet laws. Personally I would prefer that we were a law-abiding club, even on our jersey design. Thanks for your consideration.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Thats a very nice design. How much would we be talking?

And thats weak that the third picture down on that link of "Sherman Waters" doesn't show up. Afraid to show your face Waters? And here I always thought your name was Mike, Sherman.
I'm not sure how much money. But first figure that popped into my head would be $5 per jersey. he may think that 100s will be sold.

Or maybe pay him a flat fee, and then charge a bit extra going into the future as a fundraiser for the site ($5 or $10).

Just ideas.

I think realistically there isn't much of a market beyond us, unless we are picked up by performance or something, which isn't likely.