cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blew out back tire number two today....

it's getting frustrating. I was on mile 16 had a nice pace going and PSSSS, thump, thump, thump, and on the side of the road I sat until reinforcements arrived. Ran over a piece of glass.

There is a hole in small hole in the tire, does this mean a new tire must be purchased?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
it's getting frustrating. I was on mile 16 had a nice pace going and PSSSS, thump, thump, thump, and on the side of the road I sat until reinforcements arrived. Ran over a piece of glass.

There is a hole in small hole in the tire, does this mean a new tire must be purchased?
Fus I feel bad that you are having all this trouble. I would put out the money and go buy two really good tires. I've got nearly 2500 miles in this summer and I've only had one flat. Also after you ride over some glass just run your gloved hand over the tires but be careful that you don't get your hand caught.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you been taught how to check a tire once you've flatted?

There are shards of steel belts which are tiny but become embedded in tires that unless removed will create repeated flats until discovered.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Have you been taught how to check a tire once you've flatted?

There are shards of steel belts which are tiny but become embedded in tires that unless removed will create repeated flats until discovered.
No I have not. I ran my fingers on the underside of the tire after the first flat without feeling anything, but have no idea if this is sufficient.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
No I have not. I ran my fingers on the underside of the tire after the first flat without feeling anything, but have no idea if this is sufficient.
Until you get it down, some people actually remove the tire, feel gradually and slowly because some of the shards can be very tiny, but sharp enough to cause a gradual leak. It is possible to remove a shard and have a viable tire. You can also take a dollar bill to reenforce the tire which has been punctured, remember the tire, not the tube. If you have rough fingers, you may not perceive the problems. You either get a pinch flat or a puncture flat, so unless you perceived a pinch flat, you need to locate the hole or object still in the tire. I've had many repeated flats for failing to locate the offending item.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
By underside I assume you mean inside? It is sometimes necessary to find the spot of the penetration and acutaly flex the tire to open the penetration to see if there is a shard of glass (or simialr) remaining that needs to be extracted.

Here is another thought. You are a pretty big guy. So am I. Really skinny tires just aren't happy about carrying really big guys. Make sure you are picking a good tire and run as large a size as you can fit in your brakes.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
By underside I assume you mean inside? It is sometimes necessary to find the spot of the penetration and acutaly flex the tire to open the penetration to see if there is a shard of glass (or simialr) remaining that needs to be extracted.

Here is another thought. You are a pretty big guy. So am I. Really skinny tires just aren't happy about carrying really big guys. Make sure you are picking a good tire and run as large a size as you can fit in your brakes.
That's true, and a proper tire pressure is also a must for heavy guy like Fus.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
fusnik11

Quote:

Both flats came as result of small holes in the tube. I don't know if a 'blow out' looks like this as they appeared to be punctures that caused the flats.

I was warned of my size being an issue and that I needed to keep my PSI at a higher level. I purchased a portable pump and a pump to keep at my house so that at least before every ride I can get the PSI at the appropriate levels.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Both flats came as result of small holes in the tube. I don't know if a 'blow out' looks like this as they appeared to be punctures that caused the flats.

I was warned of my size being an issue and that I needed to keep my PSI at a higher level. I purchased a portable pump and a pump to keep at my house so that at least before every ride I can get the PSI at the appropriate levels.
What size tire are you running?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #10
fusnik11

Quote:
What size tire are you running?
700 x 25