cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Sad Reminder of the dangers of cycling

I feel bad for the sheriff but what are you doing that you cross over the median and strike 3 cyclists?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../MNKSVGTJ1.DTL
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually you are safe when cycling in groups. But not when someone decides to take you out. WTF?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Give the demagoguery a rest for a change, Mike. It was obviously an accident and it seems the guy is devastated about it. Probably he got distracted at just the wrong time.

What a terrible tragedy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Give the demagoguery a rest for a change, Mike. It was obviously an accident and it seems the guy is devastated about it. Probably he got distracted at just the wrong time.

What a terrible tragedy.
He apparently was in the equivalent of the shoulder of the opposite lane. He didn't merely cross the middle line for just a moment.

He should be prosecuted.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He apparently was in the equivalent of the shoulder of the opposite lane. He didn't merely cross the middle line for just a moment.

He should be prosecuted.
I didn't say he shouldn't be prosecuted (though it would be a remarkable gesture if the families chose not to). I think your comment that he "decided to take them out" is out of line, however.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I didn't say he shouldn't be prosecuted (though it would be a remarkable gesture if the families chose not to). I think your comment that he "decided to take them out" is out of line, however.
I don't rule that out. Some cyclists are murdered.

Or "let's scare these guys."
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

SOrry, I strongly disagree. FIrst, the Da and not the families will decide. Second, it would be a mistake not to pursue claims against someone if there si any basis to do so. Too many vehicle operators ignoire the rights of cyclists. This guy was on the far side of the wrong side of the road. There is no momentary distraction that allows for that. He was, at the least, cirminally negligent and he should pay. People need to eb accoutnable when they fail to share the road properly. If he had plowed into a couple of kids walking on the other side of the road would anyone ahve posted with "This is a sad remider of the dangers of walking?" The title alone reflects the prevailing attitude that cyclists are some how second rate users of the road. That attitude needs to change and one way to do that is to prosecute idiots that can't keep their vehicle in their own lane.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
SOrry, I strongly disagree. FIrst, the Da and not the families will decide. Second, it would be a mistake not to pursue claims against someone if there si any basis to do so. Too many vehicle operators ignoire the rights of cyclists. This guy was on the far side of the wrong side of the road. There is no momentary distraction that allows for that. He was, at the least, cirminally negligent and he should pay. People need to eb accoutnable when they fail to share the road properly. If he had plowed into a couple of kids walking on the other side of the road would anyone ahve posted with "This is a sad remider of the dangers of walking?" The title alone reflects the prevailing attitude that cyclists are some how second rate users of the road. That attitude needs to change and one way to do that is to prosecute idiots that can't keep their vehicle in their own lane.
Again, I didn't say he should be prosecuted. (Did you read that?) But Mike is suggesting that they were murdered. Murdered, creekster.

If you people can't read that article and have a little compassion on someone who clearly did not intended to kill 2, maybe 3, people, then you are too emotionally involved in this story. He made a poor choice (whether deliberate or accidental) and will carry this the rest of his life.

And don't ever talk to me again about what a compassionless SOB I am.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Again, I didn't say he should be prosecuted. (Did you read that?) But Mike is suggesting that they were murdered. Murdered, creekster.

If you people can't read that article and have a little compassion on someone who clearly didn't not intended to kill 2, maybe 3, people, then you are too emotionally involved in this story.

And don't ever talk to me again about what a compassionless SOB I am.
THe you are either an idiot, are compleltly uninformed about the history of biking accidents, or are just choosing to be obnoxious.

POssibily an idiot becasue having comapssion does not mean that as a matter of prosecutorial policy people that are criminally negligent should not be prosecuted as a nice 'gesture.' "Oops, sorry", doesn't cut it when you are on the opposite side fo the road and when you are supposedly trained to drive properly and uphold and enforce the laws. I have all sorts of compassion for him. BUt I still want him prosecuted.

You are uninformed becaseu there have been more than a few "accidents" that have taken the lives of cyclists that were almost certainyl examples of murder. Mike's suggestion while unlikely, is not nearly as far-fetched as you seem to believe. Your reaction suggests to me that you do nto ride a bike. If not, then shut up about this becasue you have absolutely no clue. People try to scare bike riders ALL THE TIME. SO, going back to the idiot issue, if you think that it would be fun to scare the hell out of a bike rider and you create an accident that kills the bike rider (and this has happened too many times) that is murder my firend. Murder, Tex. SO wrap your mind around that for a minute.

Finally, you said that it would be a nice gesture for the families not to prosecute. SO when you said that, you didn't mean it? Becasue it sure sounds like you said that you think it would be good that he not be prosecuted. Can YOU read THAT?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
THe you are either an idiot, are compleltly uninformed about the history of biking accidents, or are just choosing to be obnoxious.

POssibily an idiot becasue having comapssion does not mean that as a matter of prosecutorial policy people that are criminally negligent should not be prosecuted as a nice 'gesture.' "Oops, sorry", doesn't cut it when you are on the opposite side fo the road and when you are supposedly trained to drive properly and uphold and enforce the laws. I have all sorts of compassion for him. BUt I still want him prosecuted.

You are uninformed becaseu there have been more than a few "accidents" that have taken the lives of cyclists that were almost certainyl examples of murder. Mike's suggestion while unlikely, is not nearly as far-fetched as you seem to believe. Your reaction suggests to me that you do nto ride a bike. If not, then shut up about this becasue you have absolutely no clue. People try to scare bike riders ALL THE TIME. SO, going back to the idiot issue, if you think that it would be fun to scare the hell out of a bike rider and you create an accident that kills the bike rider (and this has happened too many times) that is murder my firend. Murder, Tex. SO wrap your mind around that for a minute.

Finally, you said that it would be a nice gesture for the families not to prosecute. SO when you said that, you didn't mean it? Becasue it sure sounds like you said that you think it would be good that he not be prosecuted. Can YOU read THAT?
Again, I didn't say he shouldn't be prosecuted--meaning that as a matter of law, the families (and/or the state) certainly have that right.

My comment that it would be a remarkable gesture comes in the spirit of this story, and this principle. It's called forgiveness.

Quote:
I know this is a delicate and sensitive thing of which I am speaking. There are hardened criminals who may have to be locked up. There are unspeakable crimes, such as deliberate murder and rape, that justify harsh penalties. But there are some who could be saved from long, stultifying years in prison because of an unthoughtful, foolish act. Somehow forgiveness, with love and tolerance, accomplishes miracles that can happen in no other way.
http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...559-26,00.html

Similar thoughts occupy my mind as it concerns the two foolish young missionaries in Colorado. You all are far too eager to cast fire and brimstone at people.

Jay santos, are you listening?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young