cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I'm not sure if PAC will be convinced by this. I'm somewhat in the same boat as him. Jogging is killing my body, so I've been thinking of buying a nice bike and getting serious, but am dissuaded by the many accidents I hear about. Many of you encourage him to ride, but you also have had serious accidents. It's not really encouraging to me.
At the risk of jinxing myself. I went down the first year of riding when a truck pulled out in front of me and had some scrapes and torn shorts but nothing bad. After that it's been roughly 23 years and somewhere around 60,000 miles without a problem. Riding my bike as been a lifesaver for me both mentally and physically. I realize the risk but I would never give it up also.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
At the risk of jinxing myself. I went down the first year of riding when a truck pulled out in front of me and had some scrapes and torn shorts but nothing bad. After that it's been roughly 23 years and somewhere around 60,000 miles without a problem. Riding my bike as been a lifesaver for me both mentally and physically. I realize the risk but I would never give it up also.

I should add the same sort of qualifier. I have been riding realtively long distances on the road since I was 13 (I got a Raleigh Grand Prix for christmas in 1973; what a beautiful bike. I kept it until i was 27 when a firemnd asked to borrow it for a few weeks becasue he needed a bike and oculdn't help but notice that I had more than one. He allowed it to be stolen). In 30+ years of riding I have had one collision with a car, and that was on a busy street in San Francisco. Other than that I have had a few falls that were my fault (not counting mountain biking where it seems like I don't have a good ride unless I lay 'er down) but none of the broken bone variety.

Riding is therapeutic and healthy and fun. Ther is a risk, but if you are mature (for example, I used to slap the sides of cars that I thought had cut me off; what was I thinking?) and prudent you will be able to avoid almost all accidents.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
(not counting mountain biking where it seems like I don't have a good ride unless I lay 'er down) but none of the broken bone variety.
I didn't include my mtn bike accidents also just because that is just part of the game.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I'm a relative newbie to the sport at about 5 years. I've logged probably 15,000 miles since starting to ride regularly. I've been very fortunate, as I have yet to lay the road bike down.

I've slid out on wet road and gravel twice but was somehow able to keep it wheel-side down both times.

The roads that I ride (mostly rural) and the times that I ride (early mornings, never afternoons or evenings) I always feel very safe on the roads. I also rarely ride alone. There is always at least one other person, and often 3 or 4 other people, willing to go hammer the pavement with me.

I love it. I realize there are risks, but the benefits that I get from riding far outweigh the risks. It is such a huge stress reliever for me. Its also the only time I have to get together with the boys and hang out and chew the fat for a couple of hours.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I didn't include my mtn bike accidents also just because that is just part of the game.
I've seen a few gnarly injuries in my clinic from mountain biking accidents over the years, but considering how many people ride around here, it really is a pretty safe sport for most of us.

I am not a very good technical downhiller by any means. but I am the first one to admit it, so I am fairly cautious on the dirt. I've taken a few minor spills, but nothing work writing about. Slower speeds and softer landings than pavement, for the most part.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a total newbie who just started last year, rode the ULCER with a few guys here, rode the last 70 miles on my top tube, which sucked, but it was good accomplishment for me okay!? before i moved, i had a 22 mile route i'd ride each morning which would satisfy my craving most days... anyway, me on the bike = a happier guy, me not being able to ride = fatter and crankier. seriously, riding my bike has changed my life for the better.. hopefully you'll get back on soon.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 03-12-2008 at 08:09 PM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #17
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for everyone's input. After reviewing the posts and testimonies about cycling, I resolved to hit the road again. Then yesterday's Chronicle contained an article, prompted by the funeral for the two slain cyclists, that reported, "In the past decade, 195 cyclists have been killed and 1,812 severely injured while riding the region's roadways, collision records from the California Highway Patrol show. In 2006, both fatalities and severe injuries rose slightly over the preceding years." Nice.

But this won't shake my resolve to start riding again, although I won't begin in earnest until we complete our move after July 1. Perhaps my wife and I will take Creekster up on the tandem-around-Diablo offer (we've got a tandem as well).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=003&sc=513
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #18
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I kept it until i was 27 when a firemnd asked to borrow it for a few weeks becasue he needed a bike and oculdn't help but notice that I had more than one. He allowed it to be stolen).

So did you loan your bike to a friend or to a fireman?

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
So did you loan your bike to a friend or to a fireman?
Since he allowed my beloved Raleigh to be stolen, I couldn't make my fingers type friend. Instead, they spasmed as they passed near the correct keys, and there you have it.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. After reviewing the posts and testimonies about cycling, I resolved to hit the road again. Then yesterday's Chronicle contained an article, prompted by the funeral for the two slain cyclists, that reported, "In the past decade, 195 cyclists have been killed and 1,812 severely injured while riding the region's roadways, collision records from the California Highway Patrol show. In 2006, both fatalities and severe injuries rose slightly over the preceding years." Nice.

But this won't shake my resolve to start riding again, although I won't begin in earnest until we complete our move after July 1. Perhaps my wife and I will take Creekster up on the tandem-around-Diablo offer (we've got a tandem as well).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=003&sc=513
DId you go to the website listed in the article and check out the roads that had sen the most deaths and injuries? Most of CCC is pretty safe as is East Alameda. You should avoid riding to the ocean on Sir Francis Drake in Marin, however. Also, avoid Clayton Road in Concord. The ride around Mt. Diablo looks pretty good. The distribution of the incidents made it pretty clear to me that if you avoid the obvious worse spots and ride with wisdom you are likely to decrease your chance for a collision significantly.