cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
500 a month and looking to up it to 800 to 1000 through the summer.
I'm doing mine on three rides per week, but may have to insert a fourth. What about you?

Starting next week, the rides get longer. Up to about 80, I'm fine, but once I head over that, I sometimes start dragging. I've never been more than 120 on a practice ride. Do you believe we should do a few 150s beforehand?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year I did a 100 mile unsupported training ride a week before my century. I didn't get the impression that it helped.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm doing mine on three rides per week, but may have to insert a fourth. What about you?

Starting next week, the rides get longer. Up to about 80, I'm fine, but once I head over that, I sometimes start dragging. I've never been more than 120 on a practice ride. Do you believe we should do a few 150s beforehand?
My longest this year has been 60 miles. I had hoped to get a hundred mile ride in by the end of the month. With a three day weekend I'm going to give it a shot one of the days.

My neighbor got his confirmation from Lotoja that he was in. He did it the last two years so I'm thinking they are taking care of repeat guys first.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

March and April I averaged probably 350-400 miles. Having my century cut short last week hurt my mileage and training, so now I'm playing catch-up.

I am hoping for 500-600 miles the next 2 months to get ready for the Death Ride. It would be no problem, were it not for work, family and church always getting in the way.

RCV and Archie, do you really think 150 miles for a training ride and up to 1200 weekly is necessary to get ready for LOTOJA? Seems a bit, how do I say this, neurotic to me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
RCV and Archie, do you really think 150 miles for a training ride and up to 1200 weekly is necessary to get ready for LOTOJA? Seems a bit, how do I say this, neurotic to me.
I'm just trying to stay in the same ballpark with Arch. When he starts talking about how much he rides it scares the hell out of me and I figure I better up mine or he will leave me in Preston.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
March and April I averaged probably 350-400 miles. Having my century cut short last week hurt my mileage and training, so now I'm playing catch-up.

I am hoping for 500-600 miles the next 2 months to get ready for the Death Ride. It would be no problem, were it not for work, family and church always getting in the way.

We're in the race category, so for us to have energy at the second hill, at around mile 106, I think I need some long, hard rides.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I can understand doing one long, hard ride per week, in the range of 60-100 miles. Throw in one more hard interval day of 40 miles and 2 more riding rest/slow days of 20-30 miles and what else is there time to do, for those of us that don't get paid to ride?

At the high end, that's 200 quality miles per week, on the low end its 140 miles. Here you get two hard, interval or climbing type days and two slow, mileage days in. Throw in a few runs and swims for Archie and one or two rounds of golf for RCV and you've got to be semi-retired to pull this off.

I can't think of a single week, ever, that I've been able to put in this type of mileage, let alone averaged over 3 months. Then again, I'm no coach and I'm slow as molasses to boot, so who am I to talk.

Sorry to try to interject a little reason into the discussion. Carry on.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
I can understand doing one long, hard ride per week, in the range of 60-100 miles. Throw in one more hard interval day of 40 miles and 2 more riding rest/slow days of 20-30 miles and what else is there time to do, for those of us that don't get paid to ride?

At the high end, that's 200 quality miles per week, on the low end its 140 miles. Here you get two hard, interval or climbing type days and two slow, mileage days in. Throw in a few runs and swims for Archie and one or two rounds of golf for RCV and you've got to be semi-retired to pull this off.

I can't think of a single week, ever, that I've been able to put in this type of mileage, let alone averaged over 3 months. Then again, I'm no coach and I'm slow as molasses to boot, so who am I to talk.

Sorry to try to interject a little reason into the discussion. Carry on.
Well you're no fun. Plus one weekend in June sees me doing a 70.3 which basically blows my bike mileage that weekend.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well you're no fun. Plus one weekend in June sees me doing a 70.3 which basically blows my bike mileage that weekend.
Are you doing the Boise 70.3?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Are you doing the Boise 70.3?
Buffalo Springs.