cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Going to look at road bikes tomorrow.

At my request the wife's buying me one for my birthday and I've never owned the road version of a bicycle before. Any suggestions?

A broad question I know.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
At my request the wife's buying me one for my birthday and I've never owned the road version of a bicycle before. Any suggestions?

A broad question I know.

First, Arch and RC are at a race and so you may not get their input, which you should get before you actually buy something.

Second, no matter what I or anyone else says, Waters will tell you that you are about to spend too much money and he will recommend something cheaper. As annoying as that can be, and it can be VERY annoying, he typically comes up with some good ideas.

Third, what is your goal here and what is your budget? What do you want to do? How often do you ride? Are the roads paved in Wyoming? You know, tell us a little more so we can help.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
landpoke

Price: Around $1000.00
Purpose: Fitness. Running has never been something I enjoyed, but I used to ride my mtn bike quite a bit when I was younger and enjoyed it. Now that I'm older bashing my head on trees doesn't appeal to me as much.
Paved Roads: Enough to justify the purchase.

An issue I've had with bikes in the past is that my upper body is longer than my legs (Michael Phelp's build, after all these years there's a name for my condition) and I've been somewhat uncomfortable on the bikes I've purchased in the past because while they've fit me vertically they've been short horizontally.

And I've forgotten if there's any more questions so I'll stop.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
landpoke

P.S. Other than riding around the neighborhood with the kids I don't ride much right now. I'd like to rectify that in the time I have remaining before the snow flies.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
landpoke

After spending a couple hours at the bike shop (and thinking about creeksters question re: pavement) this bike is the one I'm leaning toward:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32203

Any thoughts from the experts?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Too expensive. And the link doesn't work.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
landpoke

Beyond the expense any other comments? The bike is the Specialized Tricross Comp Double.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
landpoke

Bump.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
landpoke

Bump. I will be heard!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no opinion of this bike, or whether it is suited to your purposes. Buy it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote