cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happened?

Cougs seemed to be in control the 1st half. I had to leave and got back to see the last 20 seconds of the game.

For folks who do this kind of thing, how much does this loss affect BYU's RPI?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

RPI finished at 17, which is just fine, UNLV was red hot in the 2nd half, BYU decided not to play defense. Keena had a great game 34 points. We also were only 9-17 from the foul line and had 12 turnovers to UNLVs 5. We tried to let Wyo and TCU back in to both of their games the last two days but they werent good enough to take it. UNLV was. BYU needs to develop that killer instinct, however i am afraid it maybe to late.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
RPI finished at 17, which is just fine, UNLV was red hot in the 2nd half, BYU decided not to play defense. Keena had a great game 34 points. We also were only 9-17 from the foul line and had 12 turnovers to UNLVs 5. We tried to let Wyo and TCU back in to both of their games the last two days but they werent good enough to take it. UNLV was. BYU needs to develop that killer instinct, however i am afraid it maybe to late.
The biggest problem was you were playing in Vegas. Conference tournaments should be played on neutral courts or the regular season champ's court.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The biggest problem was you were playing in Vegas. Conference tournaments should be played on neutral courts or the regular season champ's court.
True we win at home, and i think we win on a neutral court, but you have to take whats given to you, BYU still had plenty of chances to win this game and other then Keena Young they laid an egg down the stretch.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

amen SU... the tourny in vegas is a HUGE advantage for UNLV.. unfortunately it failed in Denver, so what do do?
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
amen SU... the tourny in vegas is a HUGE advantage for UNLV.. unfortunately it failed in Denver, so what do do?
If we learn to take better care of the ball or to shoot free throws, we still have a decent chance to win.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of the tournament on the regular season champions home floor. However, it's just not practical. I imagine it takes quite a bit of planning for teams (and fans) to get a tournament ready. In seasons like this year's we didn't know the champion until the last week of games. Pretty tough to throw a tournament together in a one week time frame.

What might be the most fair is that a conference championship earns your city the tournament in the next season. But then what happens if Wyoming or CSU win? Who's going to travel to Laramie for a tournament?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I like the idea of the tournament on the regular season champions home floor. However, it's just not practical. I imagine it takes quite a bit of planning for teams (and fans) to get a tournament ready. In seasons like this year's we didn't know the champion until the last week of games. Pretty tough to throw a tournament together in a one week time frame.

What might be the most fair is that a conference championship earns your city the tournament in the next season. But then what happens if Wyoming or CSU win? Who's going to travel to Laramie for a tournament?
Well, then the tournament is in Laramie or Ft. Collins. Why punish a team for being in a lousy location if they earn it by winning the regular season?

Bottom line is that conference tournaments suck. They almost always punish the regular season champion. BYU will still get an invite because it proved that it belongs in the Big Dance, but in little conferences, the regular season champ is hosed. Marist was the regular season champion and right now has a record of 26-8, but it won't even get a sniff because it didn't win the MAAC Tournament and now is hosed.

Why even play the regular season if a team has to win the conference tourney to get the auto bid? It would make more sense for all NCAA teams should just schedule 25-30 non conference games the entire season then play their tournaments.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote