cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My $30 computer has cadence. And for beginners it is helpful to know what you cadence is 70 (too slow). Then you can watch as your cadence (usually) climbs. There is virtually no one in the pro peleton that has a cadence of 75.
The cool computer I want to get doesn't measure cadence. I looked at another cateye that I liked and it didn't either. What should my cadence be at when I'm doing well..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I'll just call you in for drunken driving... being a ute, that's almost a given you'll be drinking right?!

Perception is reality, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
The cool computer I want to get doesn't measure cadence. I looked at another cateye that I liked and it didn't either. What should my cadence be at when I'm doing well..

I try to stay at 85-95 rpm on the flat. It saves wear and tear on the knees, makes it more likely you're using better pedaling form (pedaling 'round' instead of 'square', as the say) and leads to more endurance. On hills, for me at least, fuhgeddaboutit, but I try to keep it realtively high, where it especially helps the knees (go ahead and laugh at my fixation on helping my knees; trust me, you'll miss them when they're gone). Over time you will get to know pretty closely where your cadence is simply by looking at your speed and knowing what gear you're in. Over more time, you'll know just by how it feels. I have had computers with cadence function and I found it not very useful over time. The only computer I have with cadence now is on my triple which is a Shimano flgiht deck computer and the cadence is 'virtual' being calulated by the computer by comparing your speed to your gear. You can do that in your head easily enough.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Cadence is more peculiar to cycling and body type.

I know a great Cat 2 cyclist that is a power rider who keeps his cadence at 85 on flats before he sprints. Climbs are also very peculiar to climbing style.

Another guy keeps his cadence at 100 or higher.

I tended to rely too much on the power stroke which in a tri has been bad, draining my legs for the run.

So I'm trying to convert to a higher cadence.

Now during the short sprint, some of these good sprinters have their cadence at something crazy such as 140 or higher. I start spinning out at 130 but usually about 120 is the highest I can maintain. Lesson: I'm not a sprinter.

I've found my cycling improving by keeping it in the 90 to 100 cadence range even on hills for as long as I can. Most cyclists keep a steady pace on flats or even down hills, but gradually work up a hill attacking on the last 100 meters to win the sprint to the top of the hill. If I keep my cadence high it reserves power for the hill sprint.

Remember I'm just a newbie like you, but I study and have OCD about these things.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #25
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Cadence is more peculiar to cycling and body type.

I know a great Cat 2 cyclist that is a power rider who keeps his cadence at 85 on flats before he sprints. Climbs are also very peculiar to climbing style.

Another guy keeps his cadence at 100 or higher.

I tended to rely too much on the power stroke which in a tri has been bad, draining my legs for the run.

So I'm trying to convert to a higher cadence.

Now during the short sprint, some of these good sprinters have their cadence at something crazy such as 140 or higher. I start spinning out at 130 but usually about 120 is the highest I can maintain. Lesson: I'm not a sprinter.

I've found my cycling improving by keeping it in the 90 to 100 cadence range even on hills for as long as I can. Most cyclists keep a steady pace on flats or even down hills, but gradually work up a hill attacking on the last 100 meters to win the sprint to the top of the hill. If I keep my cadence high it reserves power for the hill sprint.

Remember I'm just a newbie like you, but I study and have OCD about these things.
There is wisdom here, as rpm will vary depending on the person, but as a general matter, I suggest you try to keep it as high as you can without bouncing in your saddle. The upper limit will raise as your form improves.

There is another question that you should probably answer before deciding which advice to listen to: Are you training to be a racer?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
There is wisdom here, as rpm will vary depending on the person, but as a general matter, I suggest you try to keep it as high as you can without bouncing in your saddle. The upper limit will raise as your form improves.

There is another question that you should probably answer before deciding which advice to listen to: Are you training to be a racer?
I am curious, Almighty Creek, Greek God of Cycling. Don't the principles learned in racing transfer even to recreational riding? Or is race training detrimental to the recreational, century rider?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #27
bYuPride

Quote:

I don't think I'm training to race. I don't know what I want to go for eventually. For now, I'm just looking for personal satisfaction. To become a stronger rider. My FIL rides recreationally and he's bringing me along slowly.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #28
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I am curious, Almighty Creek, Greek God of Cycling. Don't the principles learned in racing transfer even to recreational riding? Or is race training detrimental to the recreational, century rider?
It all depends on what someone is after. Any racing-based fitness regime will certainly make someone more capable as a recreational rider. OTOH, it could also make a truly recreational guy hate cycling and quit before the addiction has fully matured. I think that sometimes with all the geek talk about components and training and rpms, etc., we tend to forget that bike riding is fun because it is fun to ride a bike. SO before getting someone bogged down too fully in our bizarre cycling world, I would like to make sure they have a chance to simply enjoy the bike first. Once the addiction sets in, we can geek 'em to death.

Let me add, via edit, an example. I like bike riding a lot, and I agree that race based training will make you faster, but I am just not going to adhere to any serious regime that includes a lot of intervals. Sorry. Not gonna do it. I am just not that interested in going fast anymore. If this makes me bad and subjects my membership to this forum to scrutiny, so be it. Thus, I think that a new rider should consider how much race training he wants to adopt and listens to hardcore licensed racers like you accordingly.

Last edited by creekster; 04-09-2007 at 11:23 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
It all depends on what someone is after. Any racing-based fitness regime will certainly make someone more capable as a recreational rider. OTOH, it could also make a truly recreational guy hate cycling and quit before the addiction has fully matured. I think that sometimes with all the geek talk about components and training and rpms, etc., we tend to forget that bike riding is fun because it is fun to ride a bike. SO before getting someone bogged down too fully in our bizarre cycling world, I would like to make sure they have a chance to simply enjoy the bike first. Once the addiction sets in, we can geek 'em to death.

Let me add, via edit, an example. I like bike riding a lot, and I agree that race based training will make you faster, but I am just not going to adhere to any serious regime that includes a lot of intervals. Sorry. Not gonna do it. I am just not that interested in going fast anymore. If this makes me bad and subjects my membership to this forum to scrutiny, so be it. Thus, I think that a new rider should consider how much race training he wants to adopt and listens to hardcore licensed racers like you accordingly.
Okay, makes sense. I tend to outgeek the geekiest. OCD and all.

You are correct there are aspects to our training which can make one not like it as much.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 AM   #30
bYuPride

Quote:

I think for now, I'm purely a recreational rider. Although I feel like I can and should be pushing myself more so I'm kind of getting frustrated with that. After of a full week of riding under my belt, what I've loved so far is being surprised with how far I've gone so quickly, being outside and riding through the streets of the city, the comraderie that exists with other riders, personal accomplishments of riding different rides, etc. It's a really fun sport, and I love that I'm really enjoying it and you guys add to that excitement... so by all means, throw it all at me! While not everything sinks in right away, it's great to become familiar with the terminology of cycling, different compentry and gadgetry, various training techniques etc. It's been awesome for me to hear all of your insights. So thanks and keep it up!

"I'm on my beater bike"