cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sizzle and others who use Nike +

Damn you Sizzle for getting me interested in running... I've heard it's not absolutely necessary to get a Nike + shoe to use the pedometer.. is that true? I'm thinking of getting the Nike + shoe anyway, but was just wondering. Also have any of you found the Nike + shoe to be comfortable or should I be looking at a different running shoe? Do I get the pedometer when I buy the shoe at the store or do I need to go to an apple store? Thanks!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't use the nike+ system and I have heard real good things about it.

I am using the Garmin 205 (http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000CSQ...MF054KAGKS28R2) You can track your distance, calories, elevation, pace, grade %, etc...I have really enjoyed using it. Good luck with your running.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the Garmin 305.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to wear a Nike+ shoe, but if you don't you need to buy a little pouch that will hold the transmitter to your laces. They are cheap and there are many different ones available.

You buy the Nike+ running kit at any shoe store. It is completely separate from the shoes. Runs $30. You'll need an armband as well. I recommend not buying the Nike armband (the one I bought) you can't see the ipod when it's in there and it's difficult to adjust volume etc.. once it's on.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
You don't have to wear a Nike+ shoe, but if you don't you need to buy a little pouch that will hold the transmitter to your laces. They are cheap and there are many different ones available.

You buy the Nike+ running kit at any shoe store. It is completely separate from the shoes. Runs $30. You'll need an armband as well. I recommend not buying the Nike armband (the one I bought) you can't see the ipod when it's in there and it's difficult to adjust volume etc.. once it's on.
awesome thanks! I actually just bought one of the nike + shoes... seems pretty comfortable.. I went to a bunch of different places (sports authority, famous footwear and some other one) to get the kit, but nobody has it... i'll have to try a foot locker on the way home from work.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Damn you Sizzle for getting me interested in running... I've heard it's not absolutely necessary to get a Nike + shoe to use the pedometer.. is that true? I'm thinking of getting the Nike + shoe anyway, but was just wondering. Also have any of you found the Nike + shoe to be comfortable or should I be looking at a different running shoe? Do I get the pedometer when I buy the shoe at the store or do I need to go to an apple store? Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I actually just use a regular pair of Nike shoes and slide the sensor under the laces and synch them up. It works great for me, although I'm considering getting Nike + shoes. I also bought my system at Target, so if you can't find it at any of those places, check out Target. They had quite a few. And I love the arm band I bought for mine. Fits perfectly.

Anyways, best of luck as you get started.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I actually just use a regular pair of Nike shoes and slide the sensor under the laces and synch them up. It works great for me, although I'm considering getting Nike + shoes. I also bought my system at Target, so if you can't find it at any of those places, check out Target. They had quite a few. And I love the arm band I bought for mine. Fits perfectly.

Anyways, best of luck as you get started.
I bought the Nike + Air Moto IV shoe... it's Cougar Blue, Silver and White.. I was actually going get some Nike + shocks, but the main color was red.. I couldn't have that! I bought the kit at Target as directed and the arm band from Wasatch Runner.. I was excited to go run this evening until I looked out my office window and saw blizzard like conditions! Oh well...

For someone who doesn't run much at all... What kind of advice would any of you give to me? I'm 5' 10" and 187 lbs now... I've dropped a few since riding my back over the last couple weeks and I've noticed my calves have been getting bigger! woo woo! I've heard people say definitely stretch before you run, but other than that? I know it's just running, but I don't want to hurt myself and go into depression because I can't ride or run...

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me know how you enjoy the Nike running shoes. Typically, most runners do not like NIkes but perhaps they will fit you.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I bought the Nike + Air Moto IV shoe... it's Cougar Blue, Silver and White.. I was actually going get some Nike + shocks, but the main color was red.. I couldn't have that! I bought the kit at Target as directed and the arm band from Wasatch Runner.. I was excited to go run this evening until I looked out my office window and saw blizzard like conditions! Oh well...

For someone who doesn't run much at all... What kind of advice would any of you give to me? I'm 5' 10" and 187 lbs now... I've dropped a few since riding my back over the last couple weeks and I've noticed my calves have been getting bigger! woo woo! I've heard people say definitely stretch before you run, but other than that? I know it's just running, but I don't want to hurt myself and go into depression because I can't ride or run...
Did someone get a bigger than expected tax return this year? Dude, you have dropped some serious cash into exercise gear the last couple of months. i'm very jealous.

I'm also curious to hear how you like the Nike + shoes.

Do you like the band that you got? My wife got one online somewhere that she likes much better than the one nike was selling, mainly due to the visibility of the display.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Let me know how you enjoy the Nike running shoes. Typically, most runners do not like NIkes but perhaps they will fit you.

Yeah, I have read that Nike seems to be more concerned with the look of the shoe rather than the long term comfort so we'll see...

"I'm on my beater bike"