cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I bought the Nike + Air Moto IV shoe... it's Cougar Blue, Silver and White.. I was actually going get some Nike + shocks, but the main color was red.. I couldn't have that! I bought the kit at Target as directed and the arm band from Wasatch Runner.. I was excited to go run this evening until I looked out my office window and saw blizzard like conditions! Oh well...

For someone who doesn't run much at all... What kind of advice would any of you give to me? I'm 5' 10" and 187 lbs now... I've dropped a few since riding my back over the last couple weeks and I've noticed my calves have been getting bigger! woo woo! I've heard people say definitely stretch before you run, but other than that? I know it's just running, but I don't want to hurt myself and go into depression because I can't ride or run...
As somebody who is 6'2" and now down to about 230 (Oh yeah!) after being 255+ in January, I can say start slow. Don't over do it. The first week or two, start off with runs of a mile to a mile and a half each time you run. I try to vary my runs between going at a steady pace the whole time and running as hard as I can, followed by jogging. But I want to not only improve my endurance, but also improve my speed.

For me, I wanted to work up to running 5K's, since that is a race I think I can do. So I found a route and worked my way up to running it, and now I just try and run the same route, but faster each time I run it. The first time I ran the 5k I ran it around 38 minutes (I am slow) but I've shaved almost 8 minutes off of my time and ran it around 30 minutes yesterday. I would like to get it down to around 24-25 minutes, so I'm almost halfway there.

Anyways, a bit of rambling, hopefully that helps. Whatever you do, just make sure you're having fun. Mixing in running with biking would be an awesome way to get back in shape. I hope to do it as well this summer.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Did someone get a bigger than expected tax return this year? Dude, you have dropped some serious cash into exercise gear the last couple of months. i'm very jealous.

I'm also curious to hear how you like the Nike + shoes.

Do you like the band that you got? My wife got one online somewhere that she likes much better than the one nike was selling, mainly due to the visibility of the display.
Ha ha! We actually haven't gotten our return back yet, but yeah, it was bigger than expected... it's nice because I underestimated the pooping power of our baby and she drinks baby formula like it's going out of style...

The arm band is a good one I think.. It has the open face, and it's easy to adjust the volume... I hope the shoes will be good!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
As somebody who is 6'2" and now down to about 230 (Oh yeah!) after being 255+ in January, I can say start slow. Don't over do it. The first week or two, start off with runs of a mile to a mile and a half each time you run. I try to vary my runs between going at a steady pace the whole time and running as hard as I can, followed by jogging. But I want to not only improve my endurance, but also improve my speed.

For me, I wanted to work up to running 5K's, since that is a race I think I can do. So I found a route and worked my way up to running it, and now I just try and run the same route, but faster each time I run it. The first time I ran the 5k I ran it around 38 minutes (I am slow) but I've shaved almost 8 minutes off of my time and ran it around 30 minutes yesterday. I would like to get it down to around 24-25 minutes, so I'm almost halfway there.

Anyways, a bit of rambling, hopefully that helps. Whatever you do, just make sure you're having fun. Mixing in running with biking would be an awesome way to get back in shape. I hope to do it as well this summer.
I'll do the mile and half thing I think... That's probably good for now. How often do you run? I'm thinking about doing it about 3 times a week while riding 4 or 5 times a week. Mix that in with push ups and bicycle sit ups and I should start to feel good again... hopefully. Will running a mile and a half 3 times a week be sufficient?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll do the mile and half thing I think... That's probably good for now. How often do you run? I'm thinking about doing it about 3 times a week while riding 4 or 5 times a week. Mix that in with push ups and bicycle sit ups and I should start to feel good again... hopefully. Will running a mile and a half 3 times a week be sufficient?
I try to go 4 times a week, but don't always make it. With working in the biking, I'm sure you'll be fine... you'll be ahead of me no doubt!
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Starting off, it's fine.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Let me know how you enjoy the Nike running shoes. Typically, most runners do not like NIkes but perhaps they will fit you.
I've never been a big fan of any Nike products. I think New Balance makes a much better shoe for running. For cycling I've had a lot better luck with Pearl Izumi then any Nike stuff I've ever gotten.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I've never been a big fan of any Nike products. I think New Balance makes a much better shoe for running. For cycling I've had a lot better luck with Pearl Izumi then any Nike stuff I've ever gotten.
I have a Nike cycling shoe... so far it's been okay... I don't have anything to compare it to though. My right foot hurt the first few rides, but I guess my foot has gotten tougher and my foot hasn't hurt again.. I'll let you know after I've gone on a few longer rides..

Hopefully my Nike running shoe won't suck too badly... I got them for almost half price from a client so I won't feel too bad if they end up not working out...

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Starting off, it's fine.
I'm hoping to go up to 3 miles in a couple weeks... does that sound reasonable?

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Typically someone that is starting out with running or has taken a long time off should go by the 10% rule. The mile and a half that Sizzle recommends is a good distance to start. After that, your longest run shouldn't exceed the previous weeks long run by 10%. As well, the total weekly distance shouldn't exceed the previous weeks distance by 10%.

It takes quite awhile to build up miles this way, but it will minimize your risk of overuse injuries.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Follow Bluegoose's advice. I always go overboard. I ran five one week then ten two weeks later, then 19 in two weeks.

Don't do what I do.

His advice is sound.