cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
THANK YOU!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Just think of yourself climbing stars to get a full pedal stroke. Some other things that may help is to keep your knees in, find the biggest guy in the group to ride behind, keep your weight down and just get in the mileage.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
What does it mean to be a Cat 2 guy? Is it like being a brown belt? Cadence... For one ride I monitored my cadence trying to stay above a certain number and on the flats and a lower number on hills.. I found I flew through my route really quickly. I'm not really training for anything... All I like to do is put on the strechy pants, enjoy the fresh air and scenery, cut off some of the flab, and see how far I've ridden and for how long. I do like to learn all about the sport though... so I appreciated the little gems you drop for me to pick up and ask about.
In racing circles, there are ratings, Cat 5 being a novice, Cat 4 a little bit better than novice, Cat 3 serious but somewhat sketchy at times, Cat 2 right below beginning pro, Cat 1 beginning pro.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In racing circles, there are ratings, Cat 5 being a novice, Cat 4 a little bit better than novice, Cat 3 serious but somewhat sketchy at times, Cat 2 right below beginning pro, Cat 1 beginning pro.
What category is "I own a bike"?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #15
Archaea

For women, Cat 4, for men, Cat 5.

I'm a lousy Cat 4, because work interferes with my play. I'd like to become a Cat 3, but that's likely next year, same refrain as last year.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
bYuPride

Quote:
Who decides what Cat # you are? Or are there just certain qualifications and requirements have to complete to get to the next level?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #17
bYuPride

Quote:
For women, Cat 4, for men, Cat 5.

I'm a lousy Cat 4, because work interferes with my play. I'd like to become a Cat 3, but that's likely next year, same refrain as last year.
Are you just being humble? I obviously don't know much of anything about cycling, but from what how you train and ride and stuff, I would have guessed you'd be higher than "a little better than a novice"...

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
Archaea

Cat 4 has a wide variance in ability, from those on their way to Cat 2 to those who work hard but aren't very successful due to workload. And my age is working against me. Most of the lads are late twenties, early thirties, riding six to seven days to week, I'm twice their age in some respsects and get in two to four good rides per week.

If it's a pure climber's race, I'm screwed, a pure crit, I'm screwed, but okay on power rides or rollers.

You must have race credentials and points within a one year period and submit for upgrade. There is a certification process the USA Cycling.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-27-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Are you just being humble? I obviously don't know much of anything about cycling, but from what how you train and ride and stuff, I would have guessed you'd be higher than "a little better than a novice"...
Archaea was being humble. It takes a hell of a lot of work to become a Cat IV. Cat III's are young guys with a lot of time of their hands. Most guys after 40 are just happy to race in the citizen category.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote