cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Here's one thing, which I know others disagree with, but never ride with a headset or IPOD.

I hear people approaching.

Don't ride with those special glasses.

Be as attentive as you can. Know your ride and the danger spots.
I not only do not disagree, but I wholeheartedly endorse this view. IMO you are dramatically increasing the chances you will be hit or otherwise in an accident if you wear headphones. Remember, Nancy Reagan says JUST SAY NO (to headphones).
Old 05-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
creekster

One other thing, i still think it is safer to ride with traffic, even if this seems counterintuitive, for the reasons I posted in the other thread a day ro so ago.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Remember, Nancy Reagan says JUST SAY NO (to headphones).
hm. was that what that campaign was about? I had no idea.

When I'm driving, it terrifies me to see cyclists wearing headphones. I use them on the trainer, but not outside.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Creekster is my hero for even getting on a bike in traffic anymore. I get hit once and I'm done forever with public roads, I promise you. I get hit twice and I probably won't even ride on a bike path.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Creekster is my hero for even getting on a bike in traffic anymore. I get hit once and I'm done forever with public roads, I promise you. I get hit twice and I probably won't even ride on a bike path.
Thanks, I think, although there may be a veiled indictment of my ability to learn from past mistakes in there.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks, I think, although there may be a veiled indictment of my ability to learn from past mistakes in there.
I meant it as a compliment. No veiled insult I promise. I'd like to think that I'd have the courage to stick with riding but I'm fairly certain I'd wuss out.

One interesting thing that I've noticed lately is that when I actually do ride (which currently is a rare occurrence) I am much more fearful in traffic than I am when I've been riding a lot. It's amazing how you can get used to giant 4x4's blowing by you on a narrow shoulder when you're out on the road a few times a week.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's amazing how you can get used to giant 4x4's blowing by you on a narrow shoulder when you're out on the road a few times a week.
I've noticed this too. If/when I'm riding in traffic...you just can't get "jittery" every time you hear a car coming up from behind...If I look back and see if I'm about to get smashed, then, I'll probably run off the road myself.

Answer: more bike lanes/paths.

Seems like with fuel prices etc...that every time they make or repair a road, they ought to set aside enough $$ to build/pave a bike lane. Eventually, they would all be connected....eventually. (which is better than the status quo)
Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
I've noticed this too. If/when I'm riding in traffic...you just can't get "jittery" every time you hear a car coming up from behind...If I look back and see if I'm about to get smashed, then, I'll probably run off the road myself.

Answer: more bike lanes/paths.

Seems like with fuel prices etc...that every time they make or repair a road, they ought to set aside enough $$ to build/pave a bike lane. Eventually, they would all be connected....eventually. (which is better than the status quo)
This is a reamrkably contentious issue in the world of bike advocacy with one side uring more bike paths and the others urging more educaiton and driver awareness with lanes if necessary.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
creekster

Quote:
One interesting thing that I've noticed lately is that when I actually do ride (which currently is a rare occurrence) I am much more fearful in traffic than I am when I've been riding a lot. It's amazing how you can get used to giant 4x4's blowing by you on a narrow shoulder when you're out on the road a few times a week.
THis is perhaps the biggest reason my wife likes the tandem; she gets real squirrely in traffic on her own but relies on me on the tandem and we are both much calmer.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One other thing, i still think it is safer to ride with traffic, even if this seems counterintuitive, for the reasons I posted in the other thread a day ro so ago.
In traffic is not bad, except you're moving more slowly, usually.

But I agree.

I ride in traffic, on the highway, weave through traffic, ride alone, in groups, but usually I'm safe.

One thing I do which is counter intuitive. I purposefully ride in the car lane, not along the edge, even though I may shoot over to the edge if I perceive a driver not paying attention. The reason is, if they see me in the lane, the will be cautious, but if they think they can go around, sometimes bad things happen.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-23-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote