cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Triathlons

Can anyone recommend a particular training method that you've had success with? My friend and I have been throwing around the idea of doing an Ironman, and we need to cut our teeth on the shorter distances first. I think with the right training I could be ready for an Ironman in 2010, (I'll really need to work on swimming) I just have no idea where to start.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Arch would be the guy to talk to. The longest I have done are Olympic distance and though I really haven't trained very well for them, it still requires a lot of time.

I figure you have to train each discipline at least 2 times a week with 3 being more ideal. It would be alot like training for a marathon in that you build up your distances over time, with only a 10% increase each week. But hell, you aren't just doing a marathon, you are swimming 2 miles, and biking 112 before hand. That is just plain looney.

I am considering doing a 70.3 next year if I can find the time to train, but it may be my wife's turn to do a marathon next year, so the bulk of the training time will go her way.

Who am I kidding, I get scared thinking about the 1/2 marathon I may do this fall.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
But hell, you aren't just doing a marathon, you are swimming 2 miles, and biking 112 before hand. That is just plain looney.
I would agree, that's why I'm giving myself at least two years before I take a shot at it. You have to admit, though, it would be pretty cool to finish one.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife's sister and her husband work out like crazy. She did the Boston Marathon and he is doing an Ironman this month.

Basically all their free time is split between working out and watching the kids. Yuck.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
You have to admit, though, it would be pretty cool to finish one.
Yes, yes it would.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Who am I kidding, I get scared thinking about the 1/2 marathon I may do this fall.
A half??? You could do a half over your lunch break today if you wanted. Plus you'd have 10 minutes left over at the end.

I repeat what has been said several times before:

Sacramento "Run By The River" Marathon, Nov 15th

15 weeks to get ready. Plenty of time, what with the mad miles that you've been putting in this summer.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote