cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Atlanta Dining?

I am headed to Atlanta next weekend for the PGA Tour Championship at East Lake. I will be there for 5 days, so anyone have some suggestions for good eating?

TIA
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

We've always been too poor and with kids when we've gone to Atlanta so I am not familiar with really nice restaurants, but if you want pizza, we like Fellini's.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
Coach McGuirk

That will work for one night. Thanks. Anyone else?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the Braves in town when you'll be there? The best food is always at the ballpark.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Jennerstein

Jennerstein

I was in Atlanta couple of weeks ago for a conference, and discovered these restaurants near the hotel (Four Seasons):

Nan Thai Fine Dining.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nan-thai-fine-dining-atlanta

JP Morgan took us here, which was kind of a new thing for them. Usually it's the old standbys of Italian or steak. The food was good and tasty, but not amazing Thai. I've had better here in California though, but you wouldn't go wrong eating here at all.

South City Kitchen.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/south-city-k...idtown-atlanta

This was my favorite restaurant from the trip. They have some good old standby Southern dishes, like Fried Green Tomatoes. I ordered the sweet tea-brined Pork Chop and found the food very good.

Veni Vidi Vici
http://www.yelp.com/biz/veni-vidi-vici-atlanta

My last night in Atlanta , some coworkers and I went here. It's typical Italian Fine Dining. I don't remember what I ordered, but I enjoyed it. It's probably more expensive than it should be, but I guess you're paying for the service or something. I'm not as big a fan of Italian, but it was a good experience.

All of these restaurants are within a few blocks of each other (it's hard to get out much outside of the Hotel). The restaurant in the Four Seasons, although four star, was mediocre. Don't go there.
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Are the Braves in town when you'll be there? The best food is always at the ballpark.
That braves are not in town, unfortunately. I could have marked Turner Field off my list of ball parks.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
I was in Atlanta couple of weeks ago for a conference, and discovered these restaurants near the hotel (Four Seasons):

Nan Thai Fine Dining.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nan-thai-fine-dining-atlanta

JP Morgan took us here, which was kind of a new thing for them. Usually it's the old standbys of Italian or steak. The food was good and tasty, but not amazing Thai. I've had better here in California though, but you wouldn't go wrong eating here at all.

South City Kitchen.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/south-city-k...idtown-atlanta

This was my favorite restaurant from the trip. They have some good old standby Southern dishes, like Fried Green Tomatoes. I ordered the sweet tea-brined Pork Chop and found the food very good.

Veni Vidi Vici
http://www.yelp.com/biz/veni-vidi-vici-atlanta

My last night in Atlanta , some coworkers and I went here. It's typical Italian Fine Dining. I don't remember what I ordered, but I enjoyed it. It's probably more expensive than it should be, but I guess you're paying for the service or something. I'm not as big a fan of Italian, but it was a good experience.

All of these restaurants are within a few blocks of each other (it's hard to get out much outside of the Hotel). The restaurant in the Four Seasons, although four star, was mediocre. Don't go there.
Thanks Jstein. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I've been there a few times, but always with kids, so nowhere fancy.

My kids' favortite spot is the place on the top floor of the Westin. It turns around so you get a great view of the city. The only drawback is that the food isn't that good.

The Varsity, just north of downtown, is famouse for burgers and rude service. It wasn't my favorite but a lot of people love it.

Buckhead has some decent places, none who's names spring to mind right now.

You can always get a burrito at the food court below CNN center, watch CNN on 10 screens, and hope to catch a glance of Wolf Blitzer.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote