cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #41
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

saw local honey for sale at the farmers' market last weekend. 12 lb jar for $33. So I guess you'll get better prices for your honey in TX.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
saw local honey for sale at the farmers' market last weekend. 12 lb jar for $33. So I guess you'll get better prices for your honey in TX.
The price I quoted is an average RETAIL price in the USA. A farmer's market would usually be cheaper than retail, I would think.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #43
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The price I quoted is an average RETAIL price in the USA. A farmer's market would usually be cheaper than retail, I would think.
then I wish you would explain that to the vendors--I pay a premium for almost everything there.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

also, you are paying a bulk discount when you pay for multiple pounds.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I will be extracting 7 frames of honey. I've never extracted before, so it should be fun. I'm figuring on over 2 gallons of honey. Mmmmmmm.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #46
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I got a gallon container of honey as a wedding gift. I re-gifted it to my mother.
That's an awesome gift. Much better than the crystal candy dishes we received. Honey is something I would use.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Harvested (extracted) about 2 gallons tonight.

When you factor in materials and time, this honey is probably as expensive as caviar, per ounce.

There is an economy of scale when it comes to honey production. And most of the costs are up-front.

Hopefully the future will bring more honey at less effort. Regardless, I am proud of myself. I feel "official".
Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Including the weight of the 5gal plastic bucket and lid, my honey came out to 24.5lb.

Would have been nice to fill the entire bucket. Then I would feel honey-rich.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Last night I moved my hive from my home to a friend's home about 25 miles away. It wasn't exactly simple or easy, but I won't bore you with the details.

I did feel a little bit of emotion doing so, because perhaps in some ways, it represented the first real tangible step in moving away from our old lives to a new one.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I opened the hive yesterday, and to my dismay there were hundreds of ants. The bees were aggressive and buzzing me, and since I had forgotten to bring my smoker, I decided to wait until I had it before doing any more work.

I came back today to the hive with the smoker. I smoked the hell out of them (no pun intended). I took the hive apart, and brought it completely off the stand. I then put the legs of the hive stand into plastic mini-trash cans. I placed the hive sections back on the stand. Then put water and soap in the buckets.

While taking everything apart, I noticed that under the hive was an actual ant colony living on the wood. Ant pupae. I scraped most of them off. The water and soap is design to prevent ants from accessing the hive from the ground.

I noticed many hive beetles as well, but nothing out of control. Overall, given the ants, the hive looks pretty strong.

I should add that I was stung several times. Probably more times than I had previously been stung in 2.5 years total combined. Well, at least I am not allergic. A bee sting is initially a fairly intense sensation. Imagine someone sticking a needle into you and injecting bleach. At least for me, the pain goes away quickly. Now I'm just left with warmth and itching.

I'm not very much liking my hive being so far from me. Makes it harder to check up on, and increases the odds that something bad will happen to it. If ants were to get out of control, for example, the bees could pack up and leave. And that would be a disaster for me.