cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brewed cocoa

My wife was inspired by La Fuji Mama (notable Mormon food blogger) to desire brewed cocoa.

http://www.lafujimama.com/2011/12/chocolate-egg-nog/

As a gift I have bought her a french press and some crio bru. Which is a Provo/Orem based company.

I don't know that we are going to do the egg nog now, but we are going to try just the regular brewed cocoa. Report to follow soon.

La Fuji Mama was featured in this NYT article.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28323

Last edited by MikeWaters; 04-28-2012 at 12:44 AM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Tried the cavalla. It was brewed in a french press. Served without any additives, just brew (water only). The first thing I noticed was some oil floating at the top. That is natural. That comes from the bean. The flavor was complex, with some amount of bitterness as well as chocolate flavor. My wife liked it like this. I did not dislike it (normally I don't like things like this without any sweetener). In fact, I could imagine myself choosing to drink it like this. I sipped some, and then added some sugar and cream. Very good as well, but you kind of miss the pureness of just the brewed cocoa. I would have preferred it with just a little bit of sugar added. That's how I'll try it next time.

I smelled the ground beans in the bag, and wow, that was powerful.

Kinda cool. Chocolate like I've never had it before. This is going to be good, and I'll continue to experiment with it (which means my wife will continue to experiment with it, and I will indulge in these experiments). Haven't tried the other variety yet that we bought. Will be interested to compare.

I'm not a very good food writer (and arguably not a good writer at all), because of my poor palate. I'm not able to say "hints of [insert smell or taste or random object]." I can mainly just say "I liked it" or "I didn't like it."

I liked this.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Had my second cup of cocoa brew. Just a little bit of sugar added.

Perhaps what I have not described is how this is different than hot chocolate milk. It's very different. It's water brewed with cocoa beans. Which makes this a much more "pure chocolate" experience. It's very different than anything I've ever had. You get flavors that are richer and more complex, and which are not overwhelmed by milk and sugar.

The difference in smelling Hershey's baking cocoa and these grounds is profoundly different. The grounds were overwhelmingly rich and pungent (in a good way), while baking cocoa in comparison is an inert chocolate chalk.

Now I'm interested in getting unground cocoa beans.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds interesting.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yeah, this allows you to get into the coffee world, without coffee. And the brewed cocoa doesn't have very much caffeine either.

So we have the french press. I'm curious to know what a cocoa espresso with steamed milk might be like. Maybe an espresso machine is going to be next on the list.

It looks like the most likely local source for roasted cocoa beans would be a Mexican supermarket. There are many, many of those around here.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 04-30-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My wife is especially a big fan.

http://www.criobru.com/home/

Currently a 30% coupon good through Nov. 10.

'Kickstarter30'