cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Clearly, you have never seen or heard second hand accounts of these parties or you would understand why I can't resist this call. Must get on the list .... no cost too great ... Abraham ...
It must be intoxicating to be a respected apologist. Everyone quavering, knees buckling, wondering if they will be handing out blueray "Godmakers" next week, they turn to the king apologist, who confidently sweeps in and saves the day.

I imagine Nibley liked the feeling.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #52
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It must be intoxicating to be a respected apologist. Everyone quavering, knees buckling, wondering if they will be handing out blueray "Godmakers" next week, they turn to the king apologist, who confidently sweeps in and saves the day.

I imagine Nibley liked the feeling.
Well, it does feel good that I could help give people a way to reconcile their membership in the church with the fact Deseret Book is not an academic press. At the beginning of the thread I could see that both DDD and BYU71 were wavering in this regard. I did feel duty bound to save them from eternal, but not not endless in terms of length, damnation.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #53
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'd never heard of this one, but the title is delightful.

I probably would've titled it The Sanctimoniusness of Whining but his title is much more professional sounding.
Maybe you should read it.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #54
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I enjoy this site because of the opportunity to learn. I have never been concerned that DB is not a player in current Momon historical thought. Of course I never have been concerned that PF Chang's wasn't a player in fine Italian cuisine.

Perhaps you can tell me why I should be concerned DB isn't a player.

THis all arose, I think, out of Goatnapper's claim that the church wasn't suppressing facts and that all anti-mormon facts could be read in books purchased at Deseret Books. I don't think Goat necessarliy meant that literally all such facts were in books at DB, but he did make a point. Mike, finding a paucoity of other windmills today, decided to tilt at the factual claim asserted by Goatnapper and prove that some or perhaps even most anti and critical books were not sold at DB. Of course, by doing so he also proved the breadth and depth of critical publications that do not depend on the churhc at all for their existnence.

So this leaves us knowing 1) some cirtical books have been or are sold at DB. 2. Most ciritcial books have not been and may never be sold at DB. 3. Pelagius has a strange affinity for Utah COunty Fondue.

As for me, only number three is troubling.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #55
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
THis all arose, I think, out of Goatnapper's claim that the church wasn't suppressing facts and that all anti-mormon facts could be read in books purchased at Deseret Books. I don't think Goat necessarliy meant that literally all such facts were in books at DB, but he did make a point. Mike, finding a paucoity of other windmills today, decided to tilt at the factual claim asserted by Goatnapper and prove that some or perhaps even most anti and critical books were not sold at DB. Of course, by doing so he also proved the breadth and depth of critical publications that do not depend on the churhc at all for their existnence.

So this leaves us knowing 1) some cirtical books have been or are sold at DB. 2. Most ciritcial books have not been and may never be sold at DB. 3. Pelagius has a strange affinity for Utah COunty Fondue.

As for me, only number three is troubling.
It is not often a man who prides himself as middle class white trash finds his good name alongside fondue. Perhaps I have arrived!

Look out RC Vikings, the people's republic of Blaine County or the pretentious folks out Ada County way, Power County is movin' on up!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #56
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It is not often a man who prides himself as middle class white trash finds his good name alongside fondue. Perhaps I have arrived!

Look out RC Vikings, the people's republic of Blaine County or the pretentious folks out Ada County way, Power County is movin' on up!
1A >>> 2P
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Maybe you should read it.
I might. I was just checking out reviews on it. I don't think you'd like what I'd have to say about it, however.

I still have yet to start on Rough Stone Rolling (sitting on my shelf), so it may take some time. My other muse (technology) gets higher priority than analyzing apostate writings.

Note to the easily offended: that last comment was directed at Toscano, not Bushman. Calm down.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #58
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1A >>> 2P
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I never want to call any county home in which the bovine to human ratio goes below 10-1. Bovines smell like shit but sometimes I think humans are actually more dumb.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I might. I was just checking out reviews on it. I don't think you'd like what I'd have to say about it, however.

I still have yet to start on Rough Stone Rolling (sitting on my shelf), so it may take some time. My other muse (technology) gets higher priority than analyzing apostate writings.

Note to the easily offended: that last comment was directed at Toscano, not Bushman. Calm down.
You think aiming that only at Toscano will calm them down?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #60
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

You would like RSR, Bushman is one of the most capable apologists the world has ever known. He would put pelagius to shame. Besides that the book is sold at Deseret Books so the Prophet has to read it himself and ensure that it contains no historical facts that could be used by our enemies!