cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default BYU doctorate ranking

A few days ago in this post:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130211

Solon indicated that a BYU undergrad education could hurt one's chances of getting into a good graduate school. Interestingly, I was handed a copy this morning of the results of a study conducted for NSF/NIH/NEH/USED/USDA/NASA. This study tracked US Ph.D. recipients according to where they got their undergraduate degrees. It turns out that BYU ranks #8 in the country on this list, behind (in order) Berkely, Michigan, Cornell, UT-Austin, Illinois, ??? (couldn't read #6 on my photocopy), and UCLA.

This study focused on Ph.D.'s only. However, the guy who gave me the list said that BYU is generally in the top three for M.D.'s and around #2 for dental schools. Not sure about J.D.

Keep in mind that these lists are ranked by raw numbers, not percentages. BYU will show well partly as a result of having a large student body, although that alone certainly would not explain it all.

I am not trying to pick on Solon here. Solon is great. I just thought it was an interesting result and confirmed my understanding that BYU undergrads are highly sought after by graduate schools.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

One of my Greek professors told us a story along these lines. He went to a lecture where the guest speaker was a PhD from the University of Colorado at Boulder, and got a chance to speak to him after. He informed him that he was a teacher at BYU. "BYU? Oh, we know all about BYU. Students from BYU always do well, it seems. But tell me . . . are there any other universities in Utah?"
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This study focused on Ph.D.'s only. However, the guy who gave me the list said that BYU is generally in the top three for M.D.'s and around #2 for dental schools. Not sure about J.D.

Keep in mind that these lists are ranked by raw numbers, not percentages. BYU will show well partly as a result of having a large student body, although that alone certainly would not explain it all.

I am not trying to pick on Solon here. Solon is great. I just thought it was an interesting result and confirmed my understanding that BYU undergrads are highly sought after by graduate schools.
Even the great Solon, one of the Seven Sages, is blinded by his Utah upbringing which leads him to believe that all things BYU are bad. It is an interesting study.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Solon indicated that a BYU undergrad education could hurt one's chances of getting into a good graduate school. Interestingly, I was handed a copy this morning of the results of a study conducted for NSF/NIH/NEH/USED/USDA/NASA. This study tracked US Ph.D. recipients according to where they got their undergraduate degrees. It turns out that BYU ranks #8 in the country on this list, behind (in order) Berkely, Michigan, Cornell, UT-Austin, Illinois, ??? (couldn't read #6 on my photocopy), and UCLA.

I've observed a distinct phenomenon where certain medical schools and dental schools favor BYU applicants, while others might actually discriminate against BYU applicants.

In my medical school, there is maybe 1 LDS student per class of 150. While in the dental school, approximately 1/3rd of the students are LDS each year, and most of those graduated from BYU.

Based on what I've seen, med schools like Baylor College of Medicine, St. Louis University, Medical College of Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Texas Southwestern have a tradition of accepting large numbers of BYU graduates.

But there are other schools with similar rankings who accept very few BYU applicants. When I interviewed at Harvard med school, the man welcoming us saw that I was from BYU and said: "I don't know why a Mormon would want to come to Harvard. We don't have a tabernacle in Boston." I took similar crap during my interview there. Even if they were joking, it really made me feel awkward.

When I interviewed at UVa med school, I had an internal medicine doctor asking me questions about BYU applicants ranging from "How do people in Russia react when you knock on their doors and try to teach them your religoin?" to "Why do we get so many applicants from BYU way out here in Virginia?" With regard to the last question, I think she was sincerely wondering what the heck was up with all the BYU applicants, and she implied that she thought it was some sort of conspiracy. I thought the questions were totally inappropriate.

Before attending interviews, I never even considered that attending BYU could be an issue with some interviewers. When I interviewed at U of Chicago, the interviewer asked me to tell him something good and something bad about BYU, in an obvious attempt to see if I'd mention problems with academic freedom at BYU or lack of diversity. Even though I completely recognize those problems, I didn't want to play that game with him, so I just told him that some of the class sizes at BYU were too big.

In the end, I think certain schools realize that when they accept BYU graduates, they're usually getting reliable, hard-working students who won't cause trouble.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
SoonerCoug

One more thing: the University of Virginia sent a letter to BYU the year I applied to med school, and the health professions office posted it on a bulletin board. The letter stated that any BYU applicant who implies that he(or she?) would use his(or her?) medical practice to preach the gospel or to convert people would automatically be rejected.

Is it really possible that someone suggested they'd attempt to use their medical practice to convert people?

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 10-10-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
One more thing: the University of Virginia sent a letter to BYU the year I applied to med school, and the health professions office posted it on a bulletin board. The letter stated that any BYU applicant who implies that he(or she?) would use his(or her?) medical practice to preach the gospel or to convert people would automatically be rejected.
That seems way out of line.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road
Default I don't understand where these people get this idea.

In my ward/stake here in Dallas I've met 3 Harvard business school grads, 2 Wharton (Penn) business school grads, 6 UT Southwestern Medical School students/residents, 1 Columbia law school grad, 1 U Chicago law school grad and 1 Columbia business school graduate. We also have 2 Bishops who are CEOs. All of them graduated from BYU with baccalaureate degrees.

We also have had more than 10 BYU undergrads who work for top-tier management consultancies who will most likely go to top 5 business schools or law schools with little problem getting admitted.

BYU students can generally get into ANY graduate school they want to, in my humble, Ute fan opinion.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut99002 View Post
BYU students can generally get into ANY graduate school they want to, in my humble, Ute fan opinion.
Sure, if you're talking about business school or law school.

That's not the case when it comes to medical school. I believe Harvard med school accepts 1-2 BYU graduates accepted every 10 years. I did not see one person accepted to Harvard in four years at BYU. My brothers (CardiacCoug and my younger bro) were employees of the health professions office and had access to the data, and I believe Cardiac saw just 1 BYU student accepted to Harvard.

There is no doubt that some programs specifically discriminate against BYU graduates. Admissions policies for the Harvard Business School are not related to the policies for the medical school. Heck, the dean of the Harvard Business School was Kim Clark.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
SoonerCoug

Quote:
That seems way out of line.
In their defense, Virginia has accepted many BYU graduates over the years.

But the letter itself was totally inappropriate.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

When I went to Columbia, BYU was actually listed in their recruiting brochures as a top feeder school. It was just below Columbia, Barnard (the Columbia version of Radcliffe), Harvard, Yale, GW and a couple of others.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote