cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #31
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I know what it was meant to show. It is, as I said, an oversimplification.
Okay. Help me understand the undersimplificated version. What is the correlation? I said there's been none established. There may well be one, I just need help identifying it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #32
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
So "health of the mother" is limited to her physical health? Or are you including emotional health here?
When I say health I mean physical health as opposed to emotional health. In other words, if I think that a fetus is a person, no matter how awful it is for you to carry a rape baby to term to me it will be worse to kill that baby. If I don't think the fetus is a person, then your emotional health trumps.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Okay. Help me understand the undersimplificated version. What is the correlation? I said there's been none established. There may well be one, I just need help identifying it.
I'm sure there's an aspect of abortion numbers that transcend Presidential power. Presidents don't have magic abortion wands.

But I don't understand why would that make someone not want to have that power, to influence what one can?

More concretely, how much more would the number of abortions had sunk, had a Republican been in office to sign the Partial-Birth ban in 1995 or 1997? How many more lives saved between then and 2003?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #34
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
More concretely, how much more would the number of abortions had sunk, had a Republican been in office to sign the Partial-Birth ban in 1995 or 1997? How many more lives saved between then and 2003?
Obviously, that's impossible to say. If a Republican had been in office to sign the ban, he also would have been in office to change any number of other factors.

Partial birth abortions made up less than 1% of all abortions in 1996. Now, let's say that partial birth abortions had been eliminated so that there was none under any circumstances in 1996. That's at most a 1% reduction. But let's say that the Republican in office also adjusted fiscal policy which affected socio-economic conditions, or changed budget allocation so that there were fewer resources available to health programs; and as a result 2% more women were seeking abortions the following year. There wouldn't have been any lives saved at all.

So we can't speculate about alternate histories. What we can do is look at the data that exist, and, as best as I can tell, those data don't give any indication that there's a correlation between the party in power and abortion activity in the U.S. Now I could totally be wrong - Seattle even informs me that I was at least once. But I await any evidence of a correlation.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #35
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
But I await any evidence of a correlation.
I'm not saying there is a correlation, since you haven't seemed to catch on. I also don't have your data in front of me either.

I'm saying a correlation is not necessary for a person to want their president to advocate and/or legislate their views. Moreover, who says the next president can't buck the trend?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #36
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Where are you going with this? Nobody argues that abortion should be promoted. I think reasonable pro-choice individuals, and certainly the Dem party and Obama, recognize that abortion comes at a price, and it is frequently a high price to pay. They simply believe that countervailing interests are greater.

Your question is silly, as I am sure you know. It is akin to saying "why, if the church thinks children are a blessing, does it not encourage sex all the time?"
Hey, you're the one that said that most Americans support abortion. I was just going with your assessment. Your statement seems to go against Obama's desire to make them rare. Perhaps you mispoke, or you feel your words are being misrepresented, or there is an implied meaning that we should all understand. I'll allow you to clarify.

From a Dem viewpoint, what is the price at which abortions come? Under what circumstances is the price high? How high is the price? Why is there any price at all?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #37
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why do you see the two as the same thing?
Because the Democrat party can't tell the difference.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young