cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #121
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No. The other option (implied in my last post) is that the middle can look extreme to the extremists.
That option is not supported by the data. I, as you have already conceded, am more moderate than you, or at least in the same neighborhood. Moreover, the extent and nature of the extremism shown in others' results is not identical, as most are extreme in one axis but not the other. That all who care to opine see you as extreme sort of makes your porpse option very unlikely. This is especialy true as I suspect (but can't prove) that most people here see me as much more moderate than you when our scores are very close.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #122
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No. The other option (implied in my last post) is that the middle can look extreme to the extremists.
LOL. That's hilarious Tex.

I remember a discussion I had with you once on CB where I asked if there was ANYTHING about the republican party with which you disagreed. You made a short list indicating that your only complaint with the party is that it is not always sufficiently conservative. Moderate, indeed.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #123
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
That option is not supported by the data. I, as you have already conceded, am more moderate than you, or at least in the same neighborhood. Moreover, the extent and nature of the extremism shown in others' results is not identical, as most are extreme in one axis but not the other. That all who care to opine see you as extreme sort of makes your porpse option very unlikely.
Data? This is all opinion here. Maybe we don't opine on the same topics. Or maybe I am extreme on some singular issue that gets frequently discussed, but mainstream on all the others that never get talked about. Maybe people's personal distaste for my sometimes bombastic style unduly influences them. And maybe I DO try to get people's goats by playing devil's advocate from time to time.

There are lots of options here, so stop trying to present me with your own false dichotomy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #124
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
LOL. That's hilarious Tex.

I remember a discussion I had with you once on CB where I asked if there was ANYTHING about the republican party with which you disagreed. You made a short list indicating that your only complaint with the party is that it is not always sufficiently conservative. Moderate, indeed.
Conservative is the new moderate.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #125
creekster

Quote:
Data? This is all opinion here. Maybe we don't opine on the same topics. Or maybe I am extreme on some singular issue that gets frequently discussed, but mainstream on all the others that never get talked about. Maybe people's personal distaste for my sometimes bombastic style unduly influences them. And maybe I DO try to get people's goats by playing devil's advocate from time to time.

There are lots of options here, so stop trying to present me with your own false dichotomy.

Given that you sort of agree with both of my options in your response here (devil's advocate = playing games and bomabstic style leading to failure to make your moderate point=poor communnicator) it is certainyl unfair to say I am forcing a false dichotomy down your throat. The question is whether your other propsed options are reasonabel or supported. Not opining on same topics? Possibly, but this seems very unlikely as you opine on many political issues. It could be, of course,m that your reputaiton comes from your religious positiona dn this was not included int he survey, so that could be aprobelm with my poisition which I concede (even though you didn't raise it). As to being mainstream on a most things but not on the frequently discussed topics, this is merely a repeat of your first point. So, we are left with 1. Poor communnicator; 2. chain yanker; 3. willful failure to reveal more moderate positions (which sends one scurrying back to number 2); or, 4. by sheer luck ofthe draw, we just never happen to hit on those areas where you are very moderate.

Did I miss any?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #126
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Given how far left socially some of the posters here are, it just appears to them that the moderates are more extreme than they really are.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #127
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Sorry, but any questions where you don't know what to answer or that present false dichotomies are BAD questions. A bad question in regards to research is one where the person answering can't figure out how to answer. Since every person is different and might take the same question a million different ways it means the result is uninterpretable which = worthless result.
I agree that there were a lot of false dichotomies in those questions.

My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.18
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #128
Tex

Quote:
Given that you sort of agree with both of my options in your response here (devil's advocate = playing games and bomabstic style leading to failure to make your moderate point=poor communnicator) it is certainyl unfair to say I am forcing a false dichotomy down your throat. The question is whether your other propsed options are reasonabel or supported. Not opining on same topics? Possibly, but this seems very unlikely as you opine on many political issues. It could be, of course,m that your reputaiton comes from your religious positiona dn this was not included int he survey, so that could be aprobelm with my poisition which I concede (even though you didn't raise it). As to being mainstream on a most things but not on the frequently discussed topics, this is merely a repeat of your first point. So, we are left with 1. Poor communnicator; 2. chain yanker; 3. willful failure to reveal more moderate positions (which sends one scurrying back to number 2); or, 4. by sheer luck ofthe draw, we just never happen to hit on those areas where you are very moderate.

Did I miss any?
I'm starting to see what you meant when you said you feel like Cali Coug.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #129
creekster

Quote:
I'm starting to see what you meant when you said you feel like Cali Coug.
A perfect non-response response (I did ti again!).
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #130
Tex

Quote:
A perfect non-response response (I did ti again!).
After a while I get weary of having my positions re-stated for me over and over in strictly pejorative terms. If you want to believe I'm a tongue-tied chain-yanking moderate-in-extremist's clothing, then by all means.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young