cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #71
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think Cummard took too few shots. We were a worse team for Cummard being so selective.
I agree he needs to be more aggressive.

Course that would just take more shots away from Jimmer and result in him being pulled if he misses and of course it'll all be the coaches fault.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #72
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/...draftyear=2008

If this guy is a lottery pick, I take it back, maybe Plaisted does have a place in the first round.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #73
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I agree he needs to be more aggressive.

Course that would just take more shots away from Jimmer and result in him being pulled if he misses and of course it'll all be the coaches fault.
So wait a minute here. Stop putting words in my mouth. I think Lee is a great player and shoots good shots and is a very good team player.

If you cant see that the coaches should have given a shot earlier at the point then you need a cat-scan. I don't get why you get so defensive when I mention that the coaches made a mistake. Players make mistakes all the time and you don't have a problem pointing them out.

I wonder when you are going to start beleiving me when I talk about Jimmer. First I come on here and say that Jimmer is a player that is going to be able to contribute right away, and everyone said he looked too slow and thought his competition in HS was subpar. Then I said he was a pg and had the ability to drive create and shoot the 3, and everyone said he was only a shooter. Then after he played a few games and showed his ability to drive and shoot, and everyone still said he was a 2 guard. Then he got a shot at the point and really played well especially in the last two games against tough competition. Now I am saying his fg% will improve substantially next year because of his change of playing time and his role. Maybe you should beleive me.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #74
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly don't understand all the love for Jimmer. He is a decent player, but he's not a great ball-handler and he's not a great shooter. He has good court presence and occasionally shows flashes of greatness, but those flashes are sadly outnumbered by flashes of mediocrity. I'm not saying Jimmer won't be a good player, but he has a long ways to go before he lives up to the hype that people are piling on him.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #75
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I honestly don't understand all the love for Jimmer. He is a decent player, but he's not a great ball-handler and he's not a great shooter. He has good court presence and occasionally shows flashes of greatness, but those flashes are sadly outnumbered by flashes of mediocrity. I'm not saying Jimmer won't be a good player, but he has a long ways to go before he lives up to the hype that people are piling on him.
compared to Murdock?

also, who else on BYU's team can take it to the rim?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #76
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
So wait a minute here. Stop putting words in my mouth. I think Lee is a great player and shoots good shots and is a very good team player.

If you cant see that the coaches should have given a shot earlier at the point then you need a cat-scan. I don't get why you get so defensive when I mention that the coaches made a mistake. Players make mistakes all the time and you don't have a problem pointing them out.

I wonder when you are going to start beleiving me when I talk about Jimmer. First I come on here and say that Jimmer is a player that is going to be able to contribute right away, and everyone said he looked too slow and thought his competition in HS was subpar. Then I said he was a pg and had the ability to drive create and shoot the 3, and everyone said he was only a shooter. Then after he played a few games and showed his ability to drive and shoot, and everyone still said he was a 2 guard. Then he got a shot at the point and really played well especially in the last two games against tough competition. Now I am saying his fg% will improve substantially next year because of his change of playing time and his role. Maybe you should beleive me.

Jimmer playing PG is nothing more than an admission by the coaching staff that they have utterly failed elsewhere to fill the position. He is a SG who is a decent passer and decent passing skills. He is not someone who can be counted on to break down the defense late in the shot clock and provide scoring that way and he certainly is not someone who can effectively guard quick PGs.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #77
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Jimmer playing PG is nothing more than an admission by the coaching staff that they have utterly failed elsewhere to fill the position. He is a SG who is a decent passer and decent passing skills. He is not someone who can be counted on to break down the defense late in the shot clock and provide scoring that way and he certainly is not someone who can effectively guard quick PGs.
whoa. way wrong.

No one else on BYU can both handle the ball, shoot from the outside, pass, and take it to the rim.

Jimmer is the most complete 1-on-1 player on the team as a FRESHMAN. In fact, I would argue that Jimmer is the only one who can consistently create his own shot.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #78
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
whoa. way wrong.

No one else on BYU can both handle the ball, shoot from the outside, pass, and take it to the rim.

Jimmer is the most complete 1-on-1 player on the team as a FRESHMAN. In fact, I would argue that Jimmer is the only one who can consistently create his own shot.
Conflation. You're talking relative to other BYU players, I'm talking relative to quality D-1 basketball PGs.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #79
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post

Once again, I'm just so shocked that a family member (by marriage) would have a biased point of view,,,I mean when has that ever happened?

I'm giving Lee and the coaches credit for Lees improvement, and Lee's ability to learn how to take better shots within the system is the main reason why he's shot a higher % as his career has gone on.

It's my contention that Jimmer has a lot of hard work to do to be even considered an ALL-MWC caliber player. Thus far he's been proven to be a streaky shooter, with good court vision and able to make good plays, with a win or go home mentality. That part I really like about him. I like his assassins mentality. He's a below average defender with sub standard lateral quickness.

He's a good D-I player, but has a lot of room for improvement.

Of course I'm sure that's all the coaching staffs fault for bludgeoning his confidence into submission.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 05-15-2008 at 02:22 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #80
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Cummard's biggest liability, I bet, is that he is not considered a scorer.

A limited repertoire of ways to score. So don't give him too much credit for his high FG %. It's an indictment as much as it is a compliment.