cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
OK now I am starting to think you are a newbie MMA guy who is just catching the wave that all these newcomer fans are riding.

UFC best heavyweight bunch? Surely you jest, Couture, Arlovski (who beat Verdum recently FYI), Barnett, Rothwell, Sylvia, could all be considered better than Mir who is the UFC's number 2 HW right now.

Fedor is better than Nogueira (not by much but better).

Which means 6 Affliction fighters are top 10 HW (I say six because Couture will be with Affliction by the fall) while the UFC has the 2 HW's in the top 10.
Josh Barnett- last 5 fights (losses to Crocop and Nogueira, wins over Jeff Monsen, Yoshida and Pawel Nastula) His last good win was over Nogueira in 2006 which was a very controversial split decision. Before that it was a win over Randy in 2002 where he tested positive for steroids.

Ben Rothwell- I will give him his 14 fight win streak, but who has he fought? Lets look at the the list: Ricco Rodriquez (just recently after a stint in rehab), Sosynzki, Fulton, Roy Nelson, Matt Thompson, Devin Cole, Kaszowski, Vetell, Sosynzki again, Dan Bobish, Joey Smith, Don Smith, Allen Weickert. Have you heard of any of them?

Sylvia is coming back to the UFC, Arlovski has back to back losses to Sylvia, yes he beat Werdum but he is still not what he used to be and he told Dana White he will be back in the UFC as well.

I also dont think Mir is that great and that the heavyweight division in MMA as a whole is weak, but considering Affliction has 1 fighter signed to a multi-fight deal I dont think you can really say that they have a better heavyweight division than anyone.