cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #51
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Wow, creekster. Nice.

People donate to causes they believe in. Obviously the church is a cause that active LDS members believe in. They want to support what they believe is the cause of God.

No one forcibly takes tithing from members, just like no one forces them to be chaste, kind, honest, or to follow any other commandment. It's offered, often at great sacrifice, as an exercise of faith.

To call it compulsory and self-serving is quite shallow.
And to take such a strong position that it is voluntray is also quite shallow. There are many who pay because they fear hell-fire or the disgrace of not having a current temple recommend.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #52
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
And to take such a strong position that it is voluntray is also quite shallow. There are many who pay because they fear hell-fire or the disgrace of not having a current temple recommend.
Make taxes that volutary and see where that gets us.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #53
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is also an accountability structure built in where active members are encouraged to meet with an ecclesiastical leader to declare whether they are full-tithe payers. Yes it's all voluntary, but there is a social pressure for a LDS to pay tithing.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #54
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are many who pay because they fear hell-fire or the disgrace of not having a current temple recommend.
Thank you.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #55
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
tooblue, I agree with you, but you do not know exactly where the money is going and what is being done with it.

no need to overstate things to make your point.

If you indeed do know exactly where your tithing was going, can you clue me in as to how I can track mine dollar for dollar?
You're right -- I'm happy to remove the word 'exactly'. An accounting (statement) for every dollar donated is provided to your Bishop and SP each month.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #56
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

SUre, just like there a lot of people who donate to the World Wildlife Fund to keep their spouse happy. Big deal. If you don't want to give it, you don't have to give it. ANy one of us may think it is a requirement in our own life, and it is, but there is not third party enforcement. Just like Bill Gates thinks he has a moral imperative to give some of his money away. I don't think either of these contributions to our motivations makes the donation necessarily more or less worthy than others.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #57
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There is also an accountability structure built in where active members are encouraged to meet with an ecclesiastical leader to declare whether they are full-tithe payers. Yes it's all voluntary, but there is a social pressure for a LDS to pay tithing.
You can be a member in full standing but be prohibited from entering the temple if you are not a full tithe payer. I think membership dues is a pretty fair analogy. Nobody is forcing you to pay your membership, but if you dont pay, you cant come into the clubhouse.

The definition of voluntary seems to be shifting faster than Obama's definitin of rich.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #58
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

Unbless the donor is living in a cave on a deserted island and odanting to himself, there is ALWAYS social pressure to give (and even then he feels pressure to himself). The point here is nto whether mormons or Utahns feels pressure to give, but whether the legitinmacy of these donations should be discounted as compared to ones made by persons of other religious or political persuausions. I think making a believer/non-believer dichotomy is bunk.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Thank you.
Agreed, but there are many who above and beyond the requested funds, not that you were suggesting otherwise.

But, I'm curious why it is really not charitable to contribute even if the motives are not wholly selfless, and why anybody can excuse Biden, if the information is accurate, for being a selfish son of a bitch, no matter what. He is in the public eye afterall, and I'm not usually considered charitable, but even my non Church charitable contributions make that look like a pittance. And again, I admit I'm selfish and focused often too much upon money.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #60
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
SUre, just like there a lot of people who donate to the World Wildlife Fund to keep their spouse happy. Big deal. If you don't want to give it, you don't have to give it. ANy one of us may think it is a requirement in our own life, and it is, but there is not third party enforcement. Just like Bill Gates thinks he has a moral imperative to give some of his money away. I don't think either of these contributions to our motivations makes the donation necessarily more or less worthy than others.
No it doesn't and it's unkind to suggest otherwise. This lemming will continue to pay regardless of it's worth in the eyes of the ignorant.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote