cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One thing you have to admire about Beck

is that she is not about to apologize. Instead, she hits the same message even harder.

I'm trying to imagine, if I was a newly called Seventy, and gave a talk in GC. Afterwards, hundreds (thousands?) of active women in the church, signed a petition opposing what I said, thereby risking excommunication.

I would probably be bewildered at first. But as I would think about it more, I would realize I was right, they were wrong, and they represent the obstacles to me magnifying my calling and delivering the message I was inspired to deliver.

The women who signed that petition/statement are "chaff."

It's very easy to see how this would be her reaction. He call was inspired. Her talk was inspired. Therefore opposition to it is uninspired.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is that she is not about to apologize. Instead, she hits the same message even harder.

I'm trying to imagine, if I was a newly called Seventy, and gave a talk in GC. Afterwards, hundreds (thousands?) of active women in the church, signed a petition opposing what I said, thereby risking excommunication.

I would probably be bewildered at first. But as I would think about it more, I would realize I was right, they were wrong, and they represent the obstacles to me magnifying my calling and delivering the message I was inspired to deliver.

It's very easy to see how this would be her reaction. He call was inspired. Her talk was inspired. Therefore opposition to it is uninspired.
I don't admire her. If she was truly a strong church leader, she would knee-cap every person on that list.

This is the problem with the church today: we're too forgiving and tolerant of unbelievers in our midst.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't admire her. If she was truly a strong church leader, she would knee-cap every person on that list.

This is the problem with the church today: we're too forgiving and tolerant of unbelievers in our midst.
If they were men, the would be excommunicated or disfellowshipped.

But since they are women, nothing will be done. (the exception being the women that have signed the petition AND published in Sunstone or Dialogue).

Just as the women have no responsibility to lead in the church, they also don't suffer punishment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

I'm new here, but you're trolling, right?
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
You meant to ask both Tex and MikeWaters, right?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look, it is imperative in an authoritarian organization you maintain control over the rank and file. I am not kidding, you let the underlings start running amuk and chaos can come.

General Washington actual shot some of his troops as an example he wasn't going to tolerate murmuring against his command.

I think the Catholics allowed control to slip and now look at how prominent members take on the Church and discount what comes out of the Vatican.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If they were men, the would be excommunicated or disfellowshipped.

But since they are women, nothing will be done. (the exception being the women that have signed the petition AND published in Sunstone or Dialogue).

Just as the women have no responsibility to lead in the church, they also don't suffer punishment.
As I said, we are too tolerant and forgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Reverse trolling, if you will.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Yes, orthodoxy is always something many admire in a religious leader. When you get right down to it, orthodoxy may be a survival mechanism among religioius leaders. Who needs an assimilated religion? A capacity to reflect, build consnsus, learn, adjust, those kinds of things aren't really the stuff of great religious leaders.

On the other hand, everyone feels a desire at a certain age to seek vindication in their life's choices. She certainly has lived what she preaches. I notice the LDS press release announcing her appointment trumpeted that she was a lifelong homemaker. She also married when she was 19.

BTW, Do you admire the same thing in me? Woot? Tex? Lingo? I didn't here any apologies from Lingo yesterday for his blatantly racist posts. Do you admire that?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote