cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 AM   #11
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Yes. There are only 2 departments Marxist departments in the country (Utah, UMass). Marxists are pretty much shut out of jobs and membership in the AEA. The stuff they do isn't considered orthodox.
I can vouch for this, have an Econ degree from the U. The Marxist economists had a lot of interesting perspectives to share, and Marxism certainly explains a lot about Capitalism's woes, but they're not considered anywhere near maintstream.

Also, the U has a few Marxists, but it's certainly not the only group represented. On balance, I'm glad I had the radical position taught by somebody who really believes it. It brings a perspective that nearly no other US Econ dept can offer, and I've found the background provides a lot of perspective in understanding where so many others around the world come from, their objections to a "purer" form of Capitalism, etc.

Beside that, there is nothing that buttresses your own world view like having it seriously questioned by people who know the subject matter intimately. When all your assumptions are questioned, you're forced to build up your ideological foundation from scratch. This goes for any ideological system, religion, politics, etc. I would imagine LDS thinkers who've 'been through the gauntlet' know what I'm talking about.

Now naturally the knee-jerk response would be that the Marxists are all wrong and it's worthless to teach it. I would strenuously disagree, even if the background has proven to be less than stellar in providing employment opportunities! LOL
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #12
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2008/09/poll-of-aea.html

Big surprise. Obama routes McCain on every single issue except free trade.
Are these the same economists who invented credit swaps, passing risk upstream as CDO's, mortgage-backed-securities. The same economist who had a stack of statistics that housing prices never go down, etc? Why should I care what economists think? What does Warren Buffet think?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote