cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default You want narcissism? I give you Joe Lieberman

Joe Lieberman is a stupendously arrogant, self-absorbed man. When Monicagate was exposed, he was quick to break ranks with his party and lament that his ten year old child could not have watched the evening news. He did so in a calculated, melodramtic fashion that made evangelicals proud, I'm sure, and won him a spot as Gore's running mate. Then he went against the prevailing sentiment in his party and vigorously supported the invasion of Iraq. So, guess what? His party kicked him off the democratic ticket in his state's senate race; certainly a foreseeable outcome. Now he's going to make sure that his party suffers for such impudence, and run as an independent, thereby almost guaranteeing that his party will lose the final election. He will take his party down with him.

I'm the last person to judge a person for getting a divorce. But the fact that Lieberman left his longtime wife a number of years ago is worth noting for the hypocritical public explanation he gave for it--she wasn't religious enough for him.

I'm not a democrat, but Joe Lieberman as a human interest story really leaves me disliking the guy. He's going to reap the results of all this bad karma he's made for himself till he takes his last breath, I venture.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

which all in all makes him a pretty good guy among politicians.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I read the first line of your titled post and thought this was going to be about you or Robin.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Joe Lieberman is a stupendously arrogant, self-absorbed man. When Monicagate was exposed, he was quick to break ranks with his party and lament that his ten year old child could not have watched the evening news. He did so in a calculated, melodramtic fashion that made evangelicals proud, I'm sure, and won him a spot as Gore's running mate. Then he went against the prevailing sentiment in his party and vigorously supported the invasion of Iraq. So, guess what? His party kicked him off the democratic ticket in his state's senate race; certainly a foreseeable outcome. Now he's going to make sure that his party suffers for such impudence, and run as an independent, thereby almost guaranteeing that his party will lose the final election. He will take his party down with him.

I'm the last person to judge a person for getting a divorce. But the fact that Lieberman left his longtime wife a number of years ago is worth noting for the hypocritical public explanation he gave for it--she wasn't religious enough for him.

I'm not a democrat, but Joe Lieberman as a human interest story really leaves me disliking the guy. He's going to reap the results of all this bad karma he's made for himself till he takes his last breath, I venture.
This sounds exactly like what you hear on Cougarboard regarding John McCain. That arrogant, self-centered...
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

man did lieberman ever jump the shark!

His nutty recent comments, echoing those of prince dick, suggesting that his loss in the primary is a signal to terrorists that the U.S. has no spine, is a slap in the face of democracy. What a pair of idiots.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lieberman, in the latest poll, is favored to win. The Republican is only drawing single digits. And I understand that some Republicans are fund-raising for Lieberman. He has an excellent chance of winning as an independent.

One way to beat the extremists in the primary process.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte

Our political system favors a two party system. A popular third party candidate always screws things up. We should move to a system where all but two candidates are eliminated before the final election.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I look at the third party as a safety valve. Third party candidates keep the other two parties honest.

I'm all for third party candidates, but I'm also all for ignoring them.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #9
Oxcoug

Oxcoug is on a distinguished road

That has to be one of the less coherent criticisms I've read of a public figure. He's stupendously self-absorbed because..... why again? Because he stood on principle during the Lewinsky discussion? (And who are you to call it melodramatic or calculated? That's subjective judgement SU, not an argument you can hang anything). And then because.... he had the nerve and independence to go "against prevailing sentiment in his party?" That has to be one of the most feeble charges ever made against a public figure. For once an elected official doesn't take the easy route and cave to his constituency. For once an official doesn't calculate the best odds for re-election and you call it self-absorption?

Hilarious.
Oxcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcoug
That has to be one of the less coherent criticisms I've read of a public figure. He's stupendously self-absorbed because..... why again? Because he stood on principle during the Lewinsky discussion? (And who are you to call it melodramatic or calculated? That's subjective judgement SU, not an argument you can hang anything). And then because.... he had the nerve and independence to go "against prevailing sentiment in his party?" That has to be one of the most feeble charges ever made against a public figure. For once an elected official doesn't take the easy route and cave to his constituency. For once an official doesn't calculate the best odds for re-election and you call it self-absorption?

Hilarious.
Why did he run as a democrat in the first place? He's got no loyalty to anything but himself, is my point, and as is evident from his self-righteous dissembling about his divorce. I'm not a democrat so I'm just observing from the outside. But I tell you one thing; he deserves to lose his job because aside from Bush he's one of the people most responsible for leading us into the enormous mistake that is the Iraq quagmire.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote