cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, I mean nobody bothers me the night of Trunk or Treat.

Tonight, I just put a bowl of candy by the front door with a sign that read:

"Take what you want. The faster the candy disappears, the sooner I can turn off the light."
Nobody bothers me on nights that we don't have trunk-or-treat (with the exception of Halloween). That makes trunk-or-treat itself a uselss exercise in handing out as much candy as quickly as possible. Like I said, just shoving a $10 bag of candy into the kids' hands serves the same purpose as trunk-or-treat.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So I take it you didn't wait for the Great Pumpkin with your kids in the pumkin patch this year.
Nope. Our oldest is 14. She took the 5 year old out with her and her friends for a bit. The wife took our two boys with a group of neighbors.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 AM   #13
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya'll are some cranky bitches up in here.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Our ward trunk or treat is fun. our kids had a really nice time and we had fun hanging with some of our friends. The kids were able to play with their nursery friends.

Also, several of the older primary kids brought their non-member friends and some of the non-member parents came, too.

What's not to like?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to Trunk or Treat at my parents ward, they blocked off the whole street. They had hotdogs, Chili, Scones, hot chocalate, cider and of course lots of candy. The young men did a spook alley, the young women (thanks to sister beck) served the refreshments.

It was actually a lot of fun.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
We went to Trunk or Treat at my parents ward, they blocked off the whole street. They had hotdogs, Chili, Scones, hot chocalate, cider and of course lots of candy. The young men did a spook alley, the young women (thanks to sister beck) served the refreshments.

It was actually a lot of fun.
So its another ward party, then. What you describe sounds very fun. I'm new to the trunk or treat concept so I was wondering what was behind it. So it has nothing to do with concern over kids going to questionable homes (where people imbibe, smoke, or the mother works outside of the home) and getting apples with razor blades?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Trunk or treat is the greatest idea ever devised by man. The entire purpose of Halloween is the collection of candy. If you remove the candy, Halloween immediately becomes the worst holiday ever.

So, some genius devised a method to improve the efficient collection of the candy. You get twice as much and 10 times faster. Bring two outfits, and you can go through it all again!
At our ward, the children zoom through the procession many times so the need for two outfits is avoided.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Trunk or treat is the greatest idea ever devised by man. The entire purpose of Halloween is the collection of candy. If you remove the candy, Halloween immediately becomes the worst holiday ever.

So, some genius devised a method to improve the efficient collection of the candy. You get twice as much and 10 times faster. Bring two outfits, and you can go through it all again!
Except for the fact that kids hate it. The kids in our neighborhood anyway. They were thrilled when we stopped that experiment.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Except for the fact that kids hate it. The kids in our neighborhood anyway. They were thrilled when we stopped that experiment.
Our liked it and many nonmember kids started participating. For me, who usually dislikes these ward socials, I found it better than most.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Trunk or Treats are gay.