cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are Mormons overwhelmingly conservative when it comes to

economics? Is there a group of Americans less likely to support healthcare for the poor, disabled, children, elderly? Is there a group more likely to be against any progressive tax system?

I think hard times are coming for many members, when they are actually asked to give up all their material possessions, as many of them have promised (at least superficially) to do.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
economics? Is there a group of Americans less likely to support healthcare for the poor, disabled, children, elderly? Is there a group more likely to be against any progressive tax system?

I think hard times are coming for many members, when they are actually asked to give up all their material possessions, as many of them have promised (at least superficially) to do.
Could the tithing structure be, in part, a reason why Mormons disfavor progressive taxes? I have had tithing cited to me numerous times as a reason for a flat tax.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Is the fast offering fund insolvent?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think it is pretty simple. They think if you do what you are supposed to be dong, you will be blessed. If you do what you are supposed to be doing, you won't be poor.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Could the tithing structure be, in part, a reason why Mormons disfavor progressive taxes? I have had tithing cited to me numerous times as a reason for a flat tax.
There's probably some truth there.

I think a lot of has to do with being descendants of hard-scrabble pioneers who weren't given nuthin from no one. No one deserves any hand-outs.

For Mormons, it is right to help Mormons. But helping anyone besides your own is not letting God do his work of weeding and thinning.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

When your cultural heritage is moving yourselves to a desert and scratching an existence out of the dirt, self reliance is in the bones of your culture. I think this is pretty straight forward.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I think LDS are that way by default. They dont actively oppose helping others, but they prefer to keep as much of their own cash as possible. Tithing sucks a lot of life out of your pocketbook, so the idea of paying any additional taxes is very distasteful.

Social programs are funded by taxes. So, since LDS dont want to pay more taxes, then by definition they appear to be against social programs.

If there was some magical way to fund social programs without raising taxes, who would be against that? Nowhere near as many people (although there are valid arguments about teaching self-sufficiency).

Also, it isnt an LDS phenomenon. Most people want less taxes on their income. As a Texan, you probably are aware of that. if not, states like Florida, Texas, etc would institute a personal income tax and start helping out the poor.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There's probably some truth there.

I think a lot of has to do with being descendants of hard-scrabble pioneers who weren't given nuthin from no one. No one deserves any hand-outs.

For Mormons, it is right to help Mormons. But helping anyone besides your own is not letting God do his work of weeding and thinning.
Yes, we did it, so let other folks do it.

As for not helping the less fortunate, I think Mormons are as giving, if not more so, as anybody else. They are very willing to give where they have confidence in the organization. Many, due to their western roots, don't care much for government, accounting for their opposition to government redistribution of wealth.

Edit: You find a whole different approach outside the U.S. It's very strange, but Mormons tend to follow the cultural norms of the places where they live.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 01-08-2008 at 07:55 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This reminds me of something from my childhood. We had a professor from A&M over for dinner. He was and is not a member.

This was back in the time that famine and starvation in Africa was in the news. I remember him saying "I know it's not popular to say it, but I don't think we should be helping those people in Africa." He went on to make some sort of argument about survival of the fittest.

I was young. It made sense in a way. I nodded along.

After he left, my dad talked to me and told me that in his opinion, our guest was wrong, and that we have a moral duty to help others, who are destitute and starving, no matter the cause.

What my dad said, in some respects, wasn't Mormon. But it certainly was Christian.

P.S. This professor is the head of a company that may end up being fairly important.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

As CaliCoug and Noah said, paying tithing and fast offerings doesn't leave much for additional contributions.

The other side of the coin is the large contributions that go from the Bishop's Storehouse to victims of natural disasters and the like.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote