cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default SeattleUte's vision for downtown SLC

Erect high stone walls around it, fill it will huge, magnificent buildings (that even dwarf the temple) of awe inspiring beauty built to last the ages, cover their interiors with the finest frescos ever created by man, go all across the earth and buy up the greates paintings and sculptures of the Rennaisance to cover the unfrescoed walls and fill the open spaces, and open all edifices to the public. Then the heathens will come, in droves, and they'll feel the spirit of God.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got any recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Erect high stone walls around it, fill it will huge, magnificent buildings (that even dwarf the temple) of awe inspiring beauty built to last the ages, cover their interiors with the finest frescos ever created by man, go all across the earth and buy up the greates paintings and sculptures of the Rennaisance to cover the unfrescoed walls and fill the open spaces, and open all edifices to the public. Then the heathens will come, in droves, and they'll feel the spirit of God.
for Brett Ratliff's current case of color blindness?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

...as long as they don't hire the same architects that designed the buildings at BYU and the chapels dotting the world.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Or just buy a plane ticket to Rome. You need to fast forward. A mall is the new Sistine Chapel, my friend.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
...as long as they don't hire the same architects that designed the buildings at BYU and the chapels dotting the world.
BYU always looks like a multi stake center complex on steroids to me. The LDS Church is practical if it is anything.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Except in its temples and downtown SLC center, it's not much in terms of art.

BYU has beautiful surroundings, a clean campus, but no coordinated design or taste. You can tell no gays were involved in its design. Perhaps BYU can borrow a few from the U to spruce up the joint.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Remember Woody Allen's Sleeper, when he went into the future and now fats and sugars were healthy and roughage and proteins were unhealthy? Maybe someday people will be nostalgic for and love these low slung trashy circa-'70's style buildings and think Gothic and Georgian architecture passe.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Or just buy a plane ticket to Rome. You need to fast forward. A mall is the new Sistine Chapel, my friend.
That was my thought as well. Of course, one can't protest the Catholics for any reason at all in nor immediately outside the property of the Vatican. So the heathens will at least have that going for them in SLC.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Except in its temples. . . it's not much in terms of art.
Um...

Old 10-06-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Um...
What have you got against birthday cakes?