cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Silva vs Cote, UFC 90....

Underwhelmed by this fight. It doesn't make sense and the UFC gains nothing with this fight.

Silva looked great at 205 and I know he said his responsibility is defending his title but until Okami gets healthy nobody deserves a shot at him at 185. He's made that division look as weak as the HW division.

I would have loved to see Silva vs Silva, now there's a main event fight thats worth 45 bucks.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree 100% this is a weak fight, Wanderlei vs Anderson would be unbelievable to watch.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I agree 100% this is a weak fight, Wanderlei vs Anderson would be unbelievable to watch.
Now I know you are a UFC tool but.....did you catch the EliteXC fights tonight?

I thought the production was great, Gus and Mauro did spectacular and the fights top to bottom were quality contests. The girl fight was awesome, Jake Shields looked in good form, Diaz was subpar as he has been lately, and the Lawler fight was entertaining from the jump.

If only EliteXC had put that type of production show the first time we'd have possibly three players in the MMA world. The one thing I like about Elite unlike UFC is that all their fighters and announce team recognize that there exist better productions, shows, match-ups, and contests outside of their organization. If a fight sucks Gus calls it, if a fight sucks Goldberg starts a circle jerk about 'The Iceman.'
Old 07-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

That Lawler fight was every bit as entertaining as the one in May. That's the first victory by knee to the solar plexus that I've ever seen.

I thought the Diaz fight should have been stopped about 2 punches earlier than it was. The guy was clearly done and unable to defend himself and sustained 2 heavy shots to the head as a result.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

I thought the production was great, Gus and Mauro did spectacular and the fights top to bottom were quality contests. The girl fight was awesome, Jake Shields looked in good form, Diaz was subpar as he has been lately, and the Lawler fight was entertaining from the jump.

If only EliteXC had put that type of production show the first time we'd have possibly three players in the MMA world. The one thing I like about Elite unlike UFC is that all their fighters and announce team recognize that there exist better productions, shows, match-ups, and contests outside of their organization. If a fight sucks Gus calls it, if a fight sucks Goldberg starts a circle jerk about 'The Iceman.'
I totally forgot that it was on. I wish I could have seen Scott and Lawler go at it. Both are always entertaining fighters who throw bombs and go for broke. Sucks about Diaz. I was a fan, but he hasn't impressed in a long time it seems.

I don't necessarily agree though about UFC commentators going off when a fight sucks. Goldberg does occasionally, but Rogan usually reigns him in. This happened during the last Fight Night last week during the Brandon Vera fight which sucked and it's all the two talked about.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That Lawler fight was every bit as entertaining as the one in May. That's the first victory by knee to the solar plexus that I've ever seen.
Not too surprising Scott Smith has almost been knocked out by a punch to the same area before when he fought Pete Sell. Looks like Lawler tried to work that area when in the clinch with punches and then later with the knees.

http://www.mmatko.com/pete-sell-vs-s...t-video-tuf-4/

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
A UFC tool? Because I agreed with you? I actually agree with the UFC on not wanting to cross promote. If you invest millions of dollars in to someone would you want them to risk injury for someone else? You obviously have zero business sense.

Hey Tom Brady just because it would be good for the fans do you mind playing a game or two with the Cowboys? or how about in the Arena League?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
A UFC tool? Because I agreed with you? I actually agree with the UFC on not wanting to cross promote. If you invest millions of dollars in to someone would you want them to risk injury for someone else? You obviously have zero business sense.

Hey Tom Brady just because it would be good for the fans do you mind playing a game or two with the Cowboys? or how about in the Arena League?
I'm talking co-promotions. Both parties have vested monetary interests in the event.

For example instead of UFC 90.....

Shields vs GSP/Fitch
Kimbo vs Lesnar
Cung Le vs Franklin
Carano vs Cyborg
Silva vs Silva

Guarantee you'd pay 50 bucks for that card. I should be Joe freakin Silva.