cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utah one of three states to ban gay foster parents

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid49987.asp

I thought this was interesting. Woman relapses on drugs. Has a son. Tells state to give her uncle custody of her son. State refuses, because her uncle is gay.

And we are to believe that the son being put in the foster care system is superior to him living with his gay uncle.

Yikes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I thought this was interesting. Woman relapses on drugs. Has a son. Tells state to give her uncle custody of her son. State refuses, because her uncle is gay.

And we are to believe that the son being put in the foster care system is superior to him living with his gay uncle.

Yikes.
When it is the only state, let me know.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Yikes.
Are the druggies parents gone, or not interested in taking care of the boy?

Looks like allot of unanswered questions here, maybe the parents don't have a great relationship with the daughter because she is a druggie and they wish her to clean up and she is getting back at them in this way?

You might want to get the whole story before going off halfcocked after reading a gay rights rag, concering how horribly the gay uncle has been treated?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

These stories do always bother me. I didn't read the article. What are the other states? Is Florida one?

There are over half a million children in foster care. To eliminate loving, gay households is absurd.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
These stories do always bother me. I didn't read the article. What are the other states? Is Florida one?

There are over half a million children in foster care. To eliminate loving, gay households is absurd.
I agree. Upholding a nuclear family with a mother and a father as being the ideal is in no way incompatible with recognizing that that situation is not always available, particularly to foster children. Any person or couple who would taken in and love a child who would otherwise be in, or in what amounts to, an orphanage is rescuing that child. Period.

Speaking of which, I saw "The Orphanage" over the weekend, which is a Guillermo del Toro flick (Pan's Labyrinth, Hell Boy) and it was excellent.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother has a gay friend in Utah that adopted a child.

The only reason he was allowed to adopt the child was 1) he was single, and 2) he didn't have a boyfriend/partner living with him.

So interestingly in Utah, if you are gay and single, you can adopt. But if you are gay and have a live-in partner, you cannot.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote