cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When does scout leader burnout occur?

For those of you that have had scouting callings, at what point (if ever) have you experienced burnout sufficient that you are entertaining fantasies that you will be released?

I've already lasted longer than any SM in my ward in recent memory. This summer will be my 3rd summer camp. The truth is, it will likely be my last.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For those of you that have had scouting callings, at what point (if ever) have you experienced burnout sufficient that you are entertaining fantasies that you will be released?

I've already lasted longer than any SM in my ward in recent memory. This summer will be my 3rd summer camp. The truth is, it will likely be my last.
Our first SM lasted eight years.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Our first SM lasted eight years.
It's a tough calling for someone with a time consuming job and a young family.

I wonder if it makes more sense for a parent or someone older.

But you gotta do what you gotta do. The position was unfilled for about 8 months before I took over.

I hope the next SM far surpasses me in all areas.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Three years sounds about right for someone in your situation. A smart bishop will call a man with scout-age boys (when possible). I have been involved in scouting for 14 years straight now. But my youngest boy just got his eagle, so my time is coming.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think three years for a non-parent sounds about right. Maybe longer if you have boys in the program. THere are no gurantees, however.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Three years sounds about right for someone in your situation. A smart bishop will call a man with scout-age boys (when possible). I have been involved in scouting for 14 years straight now. But my youngest boy just got his eagle, so my time is coming.
It's only two years for me. But it will be 3 summer camps this summer.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

When does burnout occur? First day on the job for me.

That said, our Ward's current SM has been in the position for six years and I believe he'd be willing to go another six.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I did it for four years and I was bummed when they released me. But I was in a ward with good scouting support. There were a couple of times I started feeling tired of it, but then I'd get a solid assistant SM and I'd catch a second wind. If you're having to do it all pretty much on your own I think burnout would happen pretty quickly.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Part of the problem with old age is you can't remember if you told someone something or you just thought about telling it. If I have posted this in a thread before on here, I apologize.

This couldn't happen nowdays. When I was a kid, our scoutmaster was a guy who never attended church. He was a great guy even though we once snuck into his bedroom and found some art magazines. Yes, at the scoutmasters house we got our first glimpse of what a real attractive woman's bod looked like without clothes on.

I digress. My scouting experience was awesome. I felt like he really cared about us far more than any of the teachers in church we had. We went rabbit hunting, camping, to mirror lake, etc. I have vivid memories of things I did as a scout. Thanks to him and my mom, I got my Eagle Scout. During the four years I was in scouting in the ward, just about every kid in the ward got their Eagle Scout award. Earl Wagstaff, waggie as we called him is the person that was a youth leader I can remember by name.

He loved doing what scouts do and doing it with us. I think now scoutmasters have the added pressure of being concerned about the young mens spiritual welfare. Therefor you just can't call someone who loves to do scouting, but someone who is an example of church values too. That creates an added pressure for the scoutmaster.

Tough, tough job. I admire scoutmasters in the church. Probably one of the few callings in the church I would turn down. I don't have the "right stuff".
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, I was recently at the report of that HC that got paid to go to Philmont for the LDS leader training. One of his recommendations he brought back was to keep the Scoutmaster no less than 3 years and hopefully for 5.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote