cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #21
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Why is that?

Mostly because I am a sissified city boy who is afraid of guns. Didn't grow up with them, never been hunting, etc.

Plus I remember what I was like at that age.

Rational or not, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a bunch of 12-16 year old boys and an automatic weapon.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Mostly because I am a sissified city boy who is afraid of guns. Didn't grow up with them, never been hunting, etc.

Plus I remember what I was like at that age.

Rational or not, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a bunch of 12-16 year old boys and an automatic weapon.
Every gun, regardless of caliber and action must be treated with utmost respect. I don't think an automatic is inherently more dangerous than a semi-auto. Or pump or whatever. It's not like the leaders just give each kid an Uzi and say "Have at it."
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I do think that an automatic IS more dangerous. It's harder to control.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I do think that an automatic IS more dangerous. It's harder to control.
Have you ever shot one?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Have you ever shot one?
Yes.

For someone slight of stature, with no experience shooting guns, shooting fully automatic would be more difficult, and certainly more dangerous.

I think you are assuming someone that lots of experience with guns, and I make no such assumption.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Yes.

For someone slight of stature, with no experience shooting guns, shooting fully automatic would be more difficult, and certainly more dangerous.

I think you are assuming someone that lots of experience with guns, and I make no such assumption.
No, I am assuming close, careful, and knowledgeable adult supervision. I shot an M-16 when I was a kid and loved it. The recoil was quite tame.

But this is pretty much a moot point anyway, given the scarcity of fully-automatic guns.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
No, I am assuming close, careful, and knowledgeable adult supervision. I shot an M-16 when I was a kid and loved it. The recoil was quite tame.

But this is pretty much a moot point anyway, given the scarcity of fully-automatic guns.
I think your argument doesn't make sense. It's as if you are arguing there is no difference between any guns, short of a .50 caliber in terms of safety for new users.

For example, a 1-lb trigger pull would be more dangerous for a new user than a 8-lb trigger pull.

Some people just aren't careful, even when they have been carefully instructed. Some people are stupid.

They turn their body, and turn the gun at the same time, and you have a situation where a gun is pointing at a person. This happens instantly.

Last time we shot, I had to tell each kid about 5 times "GET YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!"

It's for reasons like this that a rifle would be safer than a pistol with someone who is new to guns (and is stupid).
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I think your argument doesn't make sense. It's as if you are arguing there is no difference between any guns, short of a .50 caliber in terms of safety for new users.

For example, a 1-lb trigger pull would be more dangerous for a new user than a 8-lb trigger pull.

Some people just aren't careful, even when they have been carefully instructed. Some people are stupid.

They turn their body, and turn the gun at the same time, and you have a situation where a gun is pointing at a person. This happens instantly.

Last time we shot, I had to tell each kid about 5 times "GET YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!"

It's for reasons like this that a rifle would be safer than a pistol with someone who is new to guns (and is stupid).
Yes, but that argument can be used both ways. People shouldn't assume that a lower caliber gun is substantially safer than a higher caliber gun for example. Both are lethal.

On the rare occasions that we use pistols, the boys only handle the pistol right as they are about to shoot. An adult hands it to the boy, stands by his side, and immediately takes it after the shot.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Yes, but that argument can be used both ways. People shouldn't assume that a lower caliber gun is substantially safer than a higher caliber gun for example. Both are lethal.

On the rare occasions that we use pistols, the boys only handle the pistol right as they are about to shoot. An adult hands it to the boy, stands by his side, and immediately takes it after the shot.
the reason being, of course, is that it is more dangerous.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
the reason being, of course, is that it is more dangerous.
Yes, and all are more dangerous than water balloons.