cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #41
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No, I am serious. I like the small size and light weight of down bags. Makes up for the extra wt resulting from that "clunky" Coleman stove, I suppose.

You don't like ceramic filters?

I have had nboth down and synth bags and see merits in each. I currently use a synth and am happy with it.

I have no strong feelings about the filtration system, to be honest, my current one is a cermaic but I like it primarily becasue it is high volume.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

basically, if you will never travel in a plane, if you will never go above 12,000 feet, and if you never will venture out in temperatures under 30 degrees, get the superfly. In other words, if you are a pussy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #43
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
basically, if you will never travel in a plane, if you will never go above 12,000 feet, and if you never will venture out in temperatures under 30 degrees, get the superfly. In other words, if you are a pussy.

SIgh. Must you resort to name calling?

The plane thing was dealt with way back when by Bluegoose, but still you cling to it. If this is really the key for you, then don't buy the SF.

I am sure that you spend most of your time cooking above 12,000 feet. Of course you do, all he-men do, right?

Under 30 degrees? I think the reviewer was wroing about that, as I have used it at lower temperatiures, although i suppose it could be less efficient. I didn't have time to think about it, however, becaseu it started right up with a match and I was cooking away while my buddies were trying to futz around doing something wtih thre stoves, so I guess that makes me a pussy with a warm meal. So be it.

I have never really felt so insecure about my manhood (or any measurement of it, if you knwo what I mean) that I had to resort to saying things like how high I hiked or how cold it was when I was outside to assert that I was a manly man, but if it works for you, good on ya.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In some cases people resort to name-calling when they are losing. I do name-calling when I'm both winning and losing.

My stove isn't tricky at all. Pressurize the fuel, takes about 20 seconds. Hook the fuel to the stove. Snap. Let a small amount of fuel out. Light it with sparker knife. Let it burn for a minute. Turn up fuel. Done.

Oh, one thing that's kinda bad about my stove is that it is VERY loud. It sounds like a jet engine. But also lets nature know you are there, and you are not messing around.

My zipstove is better than the superfly. Don't have to carry any fuel. Uses 1 AA battery. If you were going for a week, I would bring one or two extra batteries. It gets very, very hot because basically it is a forge. Also ligh.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #45
creekster

Quote:
In some cases people resort to name-calling when they are losing. I do name-calling when I'm both winning and losing.

My stove isn't tricky at all. Pressurize the fuel, takes about 20 seconds. Hook the fuel to the stove. Snap. Let a small amount of fuel out. Light it with sparker knife. Let it burn for a minute. Turn up fuel. Done.

Oh, one thing that's kinda bad about my stove is that it is VERY loud. It sounds like a jet engine. But also lets nature know you are there, and you are not messing around.

My zipstove is better than the superfly. Don't have to carry any fuel. Uses 1 AA battery. If you were going for a week, I would bring one or two extra batteries. It gets very, very hot because basically it is a forge. Also ligh.
I wasn't offended. I just didn't think it was very persuasive.

Look, you camp more than me, so your opinion certainbly has weight. All I know is that I really like my SF and I have used the other types and still prefer it. It works great for me up in the Sierra and I highly recommend it. That being true, it is clearly not for everyone and if you don' t like it, then don' t buy it.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I wasn't offended. I just didn't think it was very persuasive.

Look, you camp more than me, so your opinion certainbly has weight. All I know is that I really like my SF and I have used the other types and still prefer it. It works great for me up in the Sierra and I highly recommend it. That being true, it is clearly not for everyone and if you don' t like it, then don' t buy it.
You are backing down. I am disappointed in you.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

just type these words: "you win"

and then my education efforts on backpacking stoves will be complete.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #48
creekster

Quote:
just type these words: "you win"

and then my education efforts on backpacking stoves will be complete.

The truth was I was embarrassed for you that you were so worked up about your butt being kicked that you had to call me a pussy. I mean, how old are you? So I let you get by with the vanity of presuming that I or any sentient being reading this thread might actually believe that you used that term because you thought you were winning (see how stupid that sounds?). Moreover, you were regurgitating the same ting over and over and so it was a bit tedious to boot. So how to stop without being rude and making you embarrass yourself even more? Surely you see my dilemma.

After this exchage most people still reading will conclude: 1. the SF is worth serious consideration (meaning I win, as this ws my goal) and 2. we are both tenacious boobs (which would be a great name for a rock band).
Old 04-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The truth was I was embarrassed for you that you were so worked up about your butt being kicked that you had to call me a pussy. I mean, how old are you? So I let you get by with the vanity of presuming that I or any sentient being reading this thread might actually believe that you used that term because you thought you were winning (see how stupid that sounds?). Moreover, you were regurgitating the same ting over and over and so it was a bit tedious to boot. So how to stop without being rude and making you embarrass yourself even more? Surely you see my dilemma.

After this exchage most people still reading will conclude: 1. the SF is worth serious consideration (meaning I win, as this ws my goal) and 2. we are both tenacious boobs (which would be a great name for a rock band).
= "you win"
Old 04-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #50
creekster

Quote:
= "you win"

Of course it does. Absolutely.