cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Interesting question. Should we screen literature of this type? What about TV crap like the Disney channel. It tends to be very careful about avoiding sexit or racist plots and dialogue, but man does it serve up a heaping pile of steaming crap for kids. I cetainly acknowledge the themes of many fairy tales are not modern ones, but I am not sure avoiding the fairy tales is the answer.
See, I was thinking this yesterday.

The themes that RHG and I mentioned permeate every aspect of our society. So while sure, we can throw out Snow White, it doesn't prevent our kids from seeing the four dozen magazine covers at the grocery checkout, every one of which features an airbrushed woman on the front, or the commercials that come on in between the Disney Channel shows, in which twelve year old girls are dolled up in leopard print and gogo boots, or the reality shows in which women compete against each other for the hand of prince charming. The messages we disagree with are out there everywhere. The key is not to hide from them, it's to point out what we disagree with and why.

That doesn't change the fact that I can't stand Snow White -- Grimm or Disney.

Incidentally, this thread reminds me of that weird movie about the Grimm brothers. That was too bizarre.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #22
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Rock a bye baby in the tree top.....
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #23
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Not all fairy tales are bad, IMO. Take a story like the Ugly Duckling, for example, which has a beautiful message. Take Hansel & Gretel, which is scary and dark but generally devoid of social commentary (at least that I can remember--I haven't read it lately).

But what is redeeming about Snow White? I just plain single that one out and wish to remove it from the canon. At least my canon.

I agree that the themes in Snow White are elsewhere, and I don't ingore them. If I did, I would probably not be engaged in this conversation, as I would shrug my shoulders and say things like "you are reading too much in." So it's a delicate thing, to seek to navigate through the waters of sex, sexism, superficiality, mindless entertainment, etc. and discern what is worthwhile and what is not. My point in general is that it's worth considering, as a parent or as a person. And not all fairy tales pass muster.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Yeah, I don't see why we should carefully consider the themes or content of stories we read to our children.
Meaningless nonsense. Obviously, parents should.

I simply think you're overreacting. If the so-called negative stereotypes of Snow White threaten your children's psyches, God help them when they finally have to enter the real world.

Heck, there's even charges of racism thrown at Star Wars, for heaven's sake. You can find a problem with anything, if you're looking for it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
RedHeadGal

Wasn't there a book of politically correct fairy tales a decade or two ago? I should look that up again. This discussion has been had many times over through the years.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #26
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Meaningless nonsense. Obviously, parents should.

I simply think you're overreacting. If the so-called negative stereotypes of Snow White threaten your children's psyches, God help them when they finally have to enter the real world.

Heck, there's even charges of racism thrown at Star Wars, for heaven's sake. You can find a problem with anything, if you're looking for it.
Tell me, Tex, since you seem to have the magic 8 -ball. Is it possible to find entertainment that is not acceptable? Apparently, you are saying, I am not capable of making such judgments, since I apparently just choose to be offended.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Tell me, Tex, since you seem to have the magic 8 -ball. Is it possible to find entertainment that is not acceptable? Apparently, you are saying, I am not capable of making such judgments, since I apparently just choose to be offended.
No, I didn't say you were incapable of making such judgments. Rather, I think your judgment is wrong.

Are you under the mistaken impression I have no discriminating tastes when it comes to children (or adults, for that matter)?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #28
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Interesting question. Should we screen literature of this type? What about TV crap like the Disney channel. It tends to be very careful about avoiding sexit or racist plots and dialogue, but man does it serve up a heaping pile of steaming crap for kids. I cetainly acknowledge the themes of many fairy tales are not modern ones, but I am not sure avoiding the fairy tales, esepcially the actual grimm versions, which are usually quite different than the Disny-fied versions, is the answer.

Yes, btw, we did read the actual tales to our kids. We tended to counter the impact of the themes by discussion and example. Mom is educqted and works. we don't take an axe and kill wolves or dogs. It is only a story. I think a child's cultural life should include these great tales of the past.
I have never liked the Snow White story either, but I lean more towards creekster's line of thinking. I'm not ready to give up reading myths, legends, and fairy tales to my kids. I'm reading a book of old Japanese children stories to them right now, and I guess I like the feeling of connection to that culture.

I'd be more concerned if my daughter started watching Hannah Montana (is that the Disney show?) or reading Teen Vogue. So far we have escaped the Disney princess phase, and I'm happy with that.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #29
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I have never liked the Snow White story either, but I lean more towards creekster's line of thinking. I'm not ready to give up reading myths, legends, and fairy tales to my kids. I'm reading a book of old Japanese children stories to them right now, and I guess I like the feeling of connection to that culture.

I'd be more concerned if my daughter started watching Hannah Montana (is that the Disney show?) or reading Teen Vogue. So far we have escaped the Disney princess phase, and I'm happy with that.

Two things:

First, I agree with you completely. Hannah Montana is of the devil.

Second, I apologize for the crude imagery I used in my post. For some reason seeing you quote it makes me feel guilty. Sorry.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #30
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No, I didn't say you were incapable of making such judgments. Rather, I think your judgment is wrong.

Are you under the mistaken impression I have no discriminating tastes when it comes to children (or adults, for that matter)?
I (and BG) made several statements about reasons why I find that story offensive. I stand by those, regardless of who agrees.

Your responses have been to call my points "nonsense" or "reading too much in." You have not defended the story or explained why your judgment about its redeeming value is correct or ourweighs the concerns I express, if you are willing to concede they are real (which I doubt). Such information would allow me to see how these decisions are made, at which point an actual dialogue could occur. I know this is not your style, and as such, I conclude. Why must so many posts in which you participate end this way? And I mean that rhetorically. No response necessary.