cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Next year or the year after I'm considering joining one of those tours where you ride ahead of the tour doing some of the mountain stages.

Anybody here have interest in that?
A buddy of mine was talking about doing that. He's rich like you though. That's not for us middle class peons.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
A buddy of mine was talking about doing that. He's rich like you though. That's not for us middle class peons.
You can do it for three or four thousand bucks, not bad for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Of course, your rich friends can do it for more.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #13
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You can do it for three or four thousand bucks, not bad for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Of course, your rich friends can do it for more.
I wouldloveto do it.But it won't be next year. I may never get the money together before I am toooldto ride a bike.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
I wouldloveto do it.But it won't be next year. I may never get the money together before I am toooldto ride a bike.
You're never too old to ride a bike. I am living proof. Viking is older than I and creekster pretends to be younger.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Back on topic, I thought this quote from Bruyneel was interesting:

The man holding that potentially winning hand, Discovery director Johann Bruyneel, said the day worked out as well as he could possibly hope.

"We prepared a strategy in the morning and it worked to perfection," Bruyneel said. "It was a good stage for Contador to win and we wanted to take time on Evans and Klöden. The team was like the old days, not in the sense of the domination, but how we achieved our goals as we stated them. We wanted the stage, to conserve the white jersey and push Levi and Alberto closer to the podium, so it was a successful day. I believe in both Alberto and Levi."

So, how does this work? Will one start working for the other after tomorrow?

SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 AM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Back on topic, I thought this quote from Bruyneel was interesting:

The man holding that potentially winning hand, Discovery director Johann Bruyneel, said the day worked out as well as he could possibly hope.

"We prepared a strategy in the morning and it worked to perfection," Bruyneel said. "It was a good stage for Contador to win and we wanted to take time on Evans and Klöden. The team was like the old days, not in the sense of the domination, but how we achieved our goals as we stated them. We wanted the stage, to conserve the white jersey and push Levi and Alberto closer to the podium, so it was a successful day. I believe in both Alberto and Levi."

So, how does this work? Will one start working for the other after tomorrow?

The night version of the stage is interesting with the insert cam of Bruyneel. "You just dropped Kloeden, go go go."
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Wow. I like to do somethings that are considered on the edge, but I don't know if riding a bike on that would be one of them.
I'm not sure if Paddies reference was to the steep grade or the big drop-off at the side of the road. But I didn't even notice the drop off until I read his post. I was looking 5 miles up the road at how freaking far away those guys were and feeling grateful I wasn't trying to chase them down.

Its probably a lot the same when I'm riding a bike either on the road or on some singletrack, being totally oblivious to how crazy it may be to ride on a 3 inch shoulder with cars going 60mph just a foot or two away from me or riding the bike just inches from a 300 foot dropoff into a ravine. Focus.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I was referring to the combination of the two.

Of course, I said that because I was looking at it from my perspective of having bad luck in situations like that. If you folks ever want to ensure your safety, do something with me, as if anything bad happens, it will happen to me.

For example:

When I was about 13 or so, a group of friends and I were riding our bikes down the hill in Sandy on 10600 S. between 1300 E. and 1000 E. It was late at night and we were having fun racing down the hill.

Well, the street light was out and we were riding in a staggered single file row and I was the one who hit the manhole cover that was loose at the bottom of the hill and had a terrific crash with road rash and everything.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote