cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #31
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
...you're expected to do things like be color coordinated...
I know!! I wish I'd exercised a little forethought! It turns out my most excellent pearlized pink finish actually clashes horribly with my crimson Sooners jersey. What was I thinking?!?!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #32
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Get with the times RC. They stick to your sunglasses now.

Sheesh.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...POINT%20MIRROR
I'm all over that. Honestly that looks more dangerous then not knowing what's behind you.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #33
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Di Luca did yesterday's Giro mountain stage with a 34/29 gear ratio. The last climb was 6.3 miles and averaged 11.9% grade, with the max grade being 20+%. According to MTBs link, that gear would be nearly identical to my triple 30/25.

Whats my point, you may be asking? I don't think its possible to hang on a serious climb with a comparable rider if you are on standard double and he has either a compact with a huge rear cog or has a triple.

Is there a serious flaw in my argument that I am missing?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #34
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Di Luca did yesterday's Giro mountain stage with a 34/29 gear ratio. The last climb was 6.3 miles and averaged 11.9% grade, with the max grade being 20+%. According to MTBs link, that gear would be nearly identical to my triple 30/25.

Whats my point, you may be asking? I don't think its possible to hang on a serious climb with a comparable rider if you are on standard double and he has either a compact with a huge rear cog or has a triple.

Is there a serious flaw in my argument that I am missing?
I just find it humorous that Archaea's friends will make fun of him if he has a triple. Some cyclists are just a different breed.. I'll probably never fully immerse myself into the cycling culture.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I just find it humorous that Archaea's friends will make fun of him if he has a triple. Some cyclists are just a different breed.. I'll probably never fully immerse myself into the cycling culture.
There are actually several cultures. You're already part of one just by the natiure of the bike you have and your actualk desire to ride regularly. Some bike guys are elitist and obnoxious, but they are few, more of them are friendly and accomodating. Go ot a century ride as opposed to a race, for exanaple, and there you will find hundreds of freindly folks.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM   #36
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
There are actually several cultures. You're already part of one just by the natiure of the bike you have and your actualk desire to ride regularly. Some bike guys are elitist and obnoxious, but they are few, more of them are friendly and accomodating. Go ot a century ride as opposed to a race, for exanaple, and there you will find hundreds of freindly folks.
I guess I would fit into the "I ride recreationally" culture. Whenever I meet anyone riding, why is it that they always ask if I want to go get a beer? Even the construction worker guys joke about getting a beer after my ride... Is that part of the recreational riding culture? I've heard most riders are cool except for the racers. Some of my family think I'm weird because I wear stretchy pants... especially my superficial sister. Although as soon as my sister-in-law told her how expensive it is to get decent gear, my sister thought the sport was really cool.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 PM   #37
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I guess I would fit into the "I ride recreationally" culture. Whenever I meet anyone riding, why is it that they always ask if I want to go get a beer? Even the construction worker guys joke about getting a beer after my ride... Is that part of the recreational riding culture? I've heard most riders are cool except for the racers. Some of my family think I'm weird because I wear stretchy pants... especially my superficial sister. Although as soon as my sister-in-law told her how expensive it is to get decent gear, my sister thought the sport was really cool.
Have you gotten rid of that hair on your legs yet. You've really entered the zone when you get there.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #38
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Have you gotten rid of that hair on your legs yet. You've really entered the zone when you get there.
Ha! I've been shaving for about 6 weeks now... I tell people I shave for the extra speed!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #39
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as triples go, I've never been offered one on a road bike, so I've never considered one. And I really haven't been anywhere that required one. OTOH, I'm not much of a climber, but climb for fun and fitness.

Shaving legs is cooler that I would have thought, and the occasional compliment from a female doesn't hurt.