cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the most painful experience or experiences you can recall?

Since pain reminds me of the ride, I'll go first.

One painful experience is being knocked by hitting the ground or a punch. I've had the pleasure of this on many occasions.

Another painful experience is a stab in the back.

Car wrecks can be quite painful.

Many diseases are also painful. Whooping cough is quite nasty.

Bike wrecks can be nasty. Falling from buildings as a kid can be bad.

Stepping on glass, being slammed into coral reefs is also fun.

The number one most painful experience, not including child birth, is having one's lung cut to insert the tube to reinflate it, after you were crushed in a car accident.

The reason, they must cut the tissue and anesthesia would deflate it. It is pure pain.

Of course most things dentists do should be disallowed by the Geneva Convention, but that's another matter.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Since pain reminds me of the ride, I'll go first.

One painful experience is being knocked by hitting the ground or a punch. I've had the pleasure of this on many occasions.

Another painful experience is a stab in the back.

Car wrecks can be quite painful.

Many diseases are also painful. Whooping cough is quite nasty.

Bike wrecks can be nasty. Falling from buildings as a kid can be bad.

Stepping on glass, being slammed into coral reefs is also fun.

The number one most painful experience, not including child birth, is having one's lung cut to insert the tube to reinflate it, after you were crushed in a car accident.

The reason, they must cut the tissue and anesthesia would deflate it. It is pure pain.

Of course most things dentists do should be disallowed by the Geneva Convention, but that's another matter.
This thread is oging to be like that old SNL routine where Billy Crystal and the other guy try to top each other with horrifying experiences. "I HATE it when THAT happens."
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

When I was 18 I torn my knee up skiing and after the operation they had a tube inserted into my knee to drain the bad stuff. The next day the doctor comes in to take it out and said "This is going to hurt". It was the most intense pain I have ever felt so I'm glad it didn't last long.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Broken elbow (front quick release came off).

Kidney stones

Going over the bars and racking myself (brakes went out going down a hill on bike, one of those banana-seat bikes, road t'd, hit curb dead on)

Sledding down a hill, ran into a picnic table. the corner caught my abdomen.

taking a crap after abdominal surgery, constipated.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Archaea

I forgot one, as an nine year old, my mom dropped me off at the Y for wrestling practice, but I stupidly had my hand in the car door as it was slammed shut. It mangled the hand badly. That was awful.

I was also allergic to bee stings, my small foot ballooing to larger than my father's, so summers saw me invariably once or twice a year walking on crutches.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-13-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Breaking your finger and having the doctor poke a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure with some random machine that he had never used and wasnt sure if it was even going to work. It burned my nail and electrocuted me at the same time. Imagine being electrocuted under your finger nail.

Let me add jumping off of a 50 ft cliff at Lake Powell, and getting scared and flapping my arms. Popped some blood vessells in my arms and they were bruised for about 2 months.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

This thread made me think of the comparisons between physical and emotional pain. The most painful experience of my life was watching my dad die a long and agonizing death from CA. The emotion actually caused physical pain. Hard to say which is worse.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

As a kid playing indoor 'soccer' (don't ask) and winding up for the big finish but my foot going wide and high and kicking the bottom side of the edge above the kick plate on a wooden dresser resulting in a very wide and long splinter (2-3" but it felt like about a foot) being driven under my big toenail and into my toe. At the hopsital to extract it they deadoned the toe first by giving me a shot under the toenail. I kept thinking of Dr. Mengele.

Getting hit by a car (not my fault; I have recounted it here before), flying through the air and landing on my head (thankfully I was wearing a helemt) broke some stuff and was sore everywhere.

Trying to ride my old stingray bike up the side of an enormous pile of sand that had been deposited not far from our house by a road crew. Went charging dowhill toward the pile as fast as I could (to gather moemntum to go up the side of the pile, of course) hittiong the base of the pile and seeing my front whell bury itself deeply into the pile causing my bike to stop IMMEDIATELY. Unlike my bike, I did not stop. THe stem on my apehanger bars was set quite high. SOft nether regions, introduce yourself to bolt on stem. Purple scrotal region for several weeks. I will never forget that.

I HATE it when THAT happens.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I was playing volleyball in the MTC and came down on someone's foot and turned it very badly. So badly that it took about 5 years to fully recover. They hauled me into the first aid office and I passed out from the pain. The only time in my life I have passed out. I got shot in the leg once with a gun and that was nothing compared to the ankle sprain.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Archaea

As an aside, this weekend, I'm sitting in the ambulance, and the officer offers kindly to give me some painkiller. He states, do you want some morphine, perased or something else.

I told him, no for morphine, as that makes one loopy.

So I get stuck three times when him trying to penetrate the vein. I told him, after the torture, I'd prefer to go without. So I get to the hospital and three tries later, they ultimately get through the muscle into the veins. I asked what the big deal was, and the only thing I could discern was, "well your veins are good and strong, but the muscle is tight around them."

Thanks guys, I told you people have trouble penetrating the veins. That was one of the less fun aspects of the event.

Dang I hate it when that happens.