cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
700 x 25
Try to get at least 28s. I would be very surprised if you didn't do better on 28s. If you can fit a 32, do it, but you should be bale to get a 28 on there. 25 is just too small.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

700x25 should be okay for someone you're size. You could possibly go up to a 28 just to be safe. You'll probably lose a little rolling speed, but save time in the long run in having to change fewer flats.

If it looks like a snake bite on the tube, thats a pinch flat. Often that means your pressure is too low. A clydesdale (I'm not saying you are one fusnik) should probably be up around 120-150psi to avoid pinch flats. Make sure the tube is tested for this kind of pressure. And there is no way a bike pump will get you close to this kind of pressure out on the road, unless it is one of those big, heavy frame-mounted battering rams. You may get 120 psi out of those.

A blow out is easy to identify and is basically unrepairable.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Try to get at least 28s. I would be very surprised if you didn't do better on 28s. If you can fit a 32, do it, but you should be bale to get a 28 on there. 25 is just too small.
What he said.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #14
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
700x25 should be okay for someone you're size. You could possibly go up to a 28 just to be safe. You'll probably lose a little rolling speed, but save time in the long run in having to change fewer flats.

If it looks like a snake bite on the tube, thats a pinch flat. Often that means your pressure is too low. A clydesdale (I'm not saying you are one fusnik) should probably be up around 120-150psi to avoid pinch flats. Make sure the tube is tested for this kind of pressure. And there is no way a bike pump will get you close to this kind of pressure out on the road, unless it is one of those big, heavy frame-mounted battering rams. You may get 120 psi out of those.

A blow out is easy to identify and is basically unrepairable.
The problem is that not all 25s or 28s are created equal. I recall an article some time ago where they compared actual diameter with stated diameter and found huge discrepancies in both directions not only between tire comapnies but even between tires made by the same company.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #15
bluegoose

Quote:
The problem is that not all 25s or 28s are created equal. I recall an article some time ago where they compared actual diameter with stated diameter and found huge discrepancies in both directions not only between tire comapnies but even between tires made by the same company.
Implications for fusnik being what?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What he said.
I rode 19s during an Ironman and blew out both tires.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Implications for fusnik being what?
Two, I suppose:

First: His current 25 may be less than that and to even get there he may need to get a 28 in that tire.

Second: He should be careful when he gets a 28 to make sure it is actually bigger than his current tire while still being sure it will fit.

My post was also repossnindg to your comment that 25s should be enough. THat may be true (but I tend to think not), but it would depend on the actual size ofthe 25
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 AM   #18
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Two, I suppose:

First: His current 25 may be less than that and to even get there he may need to get a 28 in that tire.

Second: He should be careful when he gets a 28 to make sure it is actually bigger than his current tire while still being sure it will fit.

My post was also repossnindg to your comment that 25s should be enough. THat may be true (but I tend to think not), but it would depend on the actual size ofthe 25
I went to the LBS and almost purchased some of the Kevlar coated tires. Decided against it as it pains me to spend money when these wheels are brand new. I purchased 4 additional tubes and if I 'blow out' two more I'll succomb and either go bigger, or just buy the 'no flat' tires. Anybody have an experience with these tires positive or negative?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.

Last edited by fusnik11; 08-23-2007 at 03:04 AM.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

fus, you may want to look at mail order for some of these things. unless you want to support your LBS. Those tires that are $50 at the shop are $25 online.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
fus, you may want to look at mail order for some of these things. unless you want to support your LBS. Those tires that are $50 at the shop are $25 online.
www.pricepoint.com

This is about the cheapest site I've found for tires.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote