cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
www.pricepoint.com

This is about the cheapest site I've found for tires.
Have you ever used any of their other gear, specifically their shorts? They have some amazing prices for shorts and bibs, but sadly I suspect you may get what you pay for.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #22
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I just talked to one of my buddies who recently got back into riding after taking about 20 years off. He started about a year ago, weighing in at about 280 pounds, give or take. He is now down below 240. He has averaged over 100 miles per week for the last 52+ weeks. I'm sure I've mentioned him before.

The reason why I bring it up is because he rides 700 x 23 tires and rarely flats. He recently went over 1,500 miles without a flat, and he rides daily over his 700 foot gravel driveway as well. He inflates to 120psi religiously.

He suggested asking if fusnik is using a tool to put the tire on after changing the tube.

So I guess it might be helpful if fussie continues to have problems to outline what he does to fix a flat or install a new tube and tire and see if there is a problem with the process.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #23
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Have you ever used any of their other gear, specifically their shorts? They have some amazing prices for shorts and bibs, but sadly I suspect you may get what you pay for.
Tires are the only product I've bought from these guys. They do have some killer prices.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I went to the LBS and almost purchased some of the Kevlar coated tires. Decided against it as it pains me to spend money when these wheels are brand new. I purchased 4 additional tubes and if I 'blow out' two more I'll succomb and either go bigger, or just buy the 'no flat' tires. Anybody have an experience with these tires positive or negative?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.
How about a kevlar lining? Adds a little weight, but if you are doing a lot of city riding, it is worth it. I would choose that over a "no flat" tire, myself.

The following is just an example of what I'm talking about, there are other brands...
http://www.warwickmills.com/Stop-Fla...rotection.html

Have fun!
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #25
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

Why did you have to start talking about flats? I went for a lunchtime ride today (mtb), and got several goathead in the tread blocks. Went to pull them out before they worked their way in. Too late. Pssssssssss. Put on spare tube, but it had a leak, too, and wouldn't hold more than about 10psi. Didn't feel like pulling everything apart and using the patch kit, so I limped it back to work.

Stop jinxing me by bringing up these topics!
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #26
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
He suggested asking if fusnik is using a tool to put the tire on after changing the tube.

So I guess it might be helpful if fussie continues to have problems to outline what he does to fix a flat or install a new tube and tire and see if there is a problem with the process.
Maybe I am not putting it on correctly.

I just put the tube in the tire, pump it up and off I go.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe I am not putting it on correctly.

I just put the tube in the tire, pump it up and off I go.
I think he is wondering if you are using a lever or some other tool (shapr knife, perhaps) to assist in poutting the tire bead back on hte rim. If so, and if you are not careful, you can puncture the tube. Ithink this is not highlky likely, however, becasue you described haveing ridden for a while before you flatted. Damage from a tool would either be a slow leak or it would be an immediate flat after it had been put back on.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #28
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think he is wondering if you are using a lever or some other tool (shapr knife, perhaps) to assist in poutting the tire bead back on hte rim. If so, and if you are not careful, you can puncture the tube. Ithink this is not highlky likely, however, becasue you described haveing ridden for a while before you flatted. Damage from a tool would either be a slow leak or it would be an immediate flat after it had been put back on.
I used a spoon, but applied very little pressure.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #29
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I used a spoon, but applied very little pressure.
I usually try to roll the tire back on my rim by hand while being very attentive not to pinch any part of the tube between the rim and the tire bead. If it is a new tire or a tight fit it can be a little tough to do, but you quickly get the hang of it. Like I said, I don't think this is your problem, but I would still try to roll the tires on by hand.

I am curious if others share my oipinoin or if this is a habit that only I have.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I just use a tire lever, the one dollar kind.