cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Bike recommendations

The wife and I have been doing some biking lately on our beat-up, POS mountain bikes and are ready to take the plunge and buy a couple of new road bikes. Any recommendations for a newbie? Brands to avoid, etc?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Road or mountain?

That's the first question.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The wife and I have been doing some biking lately on our beat-up, POS mountain bikes and are ready to take the plunge and buy a couple of new road bikes. Any recommendations for a newbie? Brands to avoid, etc?
You are a dickhead but even so here's my advice.....

I'm a new rider like yourself and went to at least 6 local bike shops that sold all types of bikes, Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Felt, etc, I test drove all different kind of bikes and felt the best on a Trek. My wife felt the best on a Specialized and based on our bikes and set up we both walked away with great bikes for under 3 k total with helmets, pumps, bags, shorts.

I guess the moral of the story is this, and it's what I took from the interactions with the experienced riders here and at the LBS, find a bike that feels good buy it and enjoy the ride. I would get sized by a few different shops and ride different sized bikes to see what feels the best. Right now seems a great time to buy since the 06 and 07 stuff is on clearance.

For a local plug I would go to Guthrie's in SLC on 21st S. The owner helped me out, was extremely honest and candid, and hooked me up with a screaming deal on a great bike.

Last edited by fusnik11; 09-17-2007 at 08:35 PM.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Road or mountain?

That's the first question.
Road.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
You are a dickhead but even so here's my advice.....

I'm a new rider like yourself and went to at least 6 local bike shops that sold all types of bikes, Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Felt, etc, I test drove all different kind of bikes and felt the best on a Trek. My wife felt the best on a Specialized and based on our bikes and set up we both walked away with great bikes for under 3 k total with helmets, pumps, bags, shorts.

I guess the moral of the story is this, and it's what I took from the interactions with the experienced riders here and at the LBS, find a bike that feels good buy it and enjoy the ride. I would get sized by a few different shops and ride different sized bikes to see what feels the best. Right now seems a great time to buy since the 06 and 07 stuff is on clearance.

For a local plug I would go to Guthrie's in SLC on 21st S. The owner helped me out, was extremely honest and candid, and hooked me up with a screaming deal on a great bike.
Thanks, Fus. I appreciate you overlooking my dickheadedness.

($3K?? Yikes)
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks, Fus. I appreciate you overlooking my dickheadedness.

($3K?? Yikes)
We got way nicer bikes than needed for our talent level but am looking to upgrade in about two years already.

I went to the LBS thinking I could buy a decent bike in the $300-500 range and was astounded you can't buy anything nice until $800 and if you are going to spend that much you might as well drop a grand.

Here's actually something I should have done and could possibly save you $500. Identify 3-4 bikes you would like to buy and buy used on craigslist. I found a Cannondale I contemplated buying this weekend for $900 that brand new with taxes would have cost me over $1300 and am confident I could have negotiated a better price.

My assumption would be that you are in the 56" frame, I'm 6'4" and ride a 60" frame, there are quite a few newer bikes on craigslist in that size frame.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Road.
At your local bike shops, I remember three brands being highlighted.

First, Giant near the Freedom Boulevard, and the one downtown focuses upon Trek.

Specialized also sells well in Utah.

Frame fit, and comfort are most important. Next comes fixability. That's why one focuses upon what the local shop supports.

After that, one needs to decide componetry, i.e., Shimano, Campy or SRAM. Campy is expensive and Eurotrendy. SRAM is clean without external wires and Shimano is most common.

I'd go with a carbon fibre frame, reasonably price componetry.

You can always negotiate a discount at the bike shops. A 3K bike becomes a 2K or less. Shop, shop and shop some more.

I actually see Lebowski between a 56 and 58 frame.

I forgot about the helmets, uniforms, shoes and sunglasses. In your area, you also need winter gear.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Well, I took the plunge tonight. With a little urging from IPU, I checked out the Bianchi line and ended up buying this model:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_c2c_nirone_ult_tr.html
Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I took the plunge tonight. With a little urging from IPU, I checked out the Bianchi line and ended up buying this model:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_c2c_nirone_ult_tr.html
And you were complaining about 3k for 2 bikes and all the gear! By the way no offense but you didnt go with the teal did you?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
And you were complaining about 3k for 2 bikes and all the gear! By the way no offense but you didnt go with the teal did you?
It was on sale for $999.

Yes, I did. Does that mean I am gay?