cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So do I start riding seriously again, or not?

Reading the thread about the cyclists who were killed a few miles from my office has heightened my concerns about returning to a regular cycling habit. As most of you know, my wife and I enjoyed cycling, not with the intensity and devotion of most of you, but we'd do the occasional century, and our typical ride was in the 25-50 mile range on Saturdays. Following my stupid accident 3+ years ago (broken radius and ulna which received two plates and ten screws), I haven't hit the road with any diligence since, due to a combination of fear and laziness.

In July, we're moving out to Pleasanton and the Livermore Valley where there is an abundance of nice routes. We've been talking about remounting our steeds after the distractions of selling a house and moving are behind us. But these stories of cyclists getting creamed by murderous/malicious/negligent (pick your adjective, the result is still the same) make me seriously consider whether I should choose another avocation. And while it would be nice to think the problem of drivers vs. cyclists will improve, I doubt very much it will. Indeed, here in the Bay Area, my sense is that drivers are becoming worse, not better.

So tell me, is it worth the risk?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't answer. But I will say if you choose to ride, do so as safely as possible.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I think a person needs to be smart about where and when they ride. Even in a small town like Rexburg their are certain roads I stay off of because of the traffic. I stay as far to right as is safe and I always try to be aware of the cars around me. I always try to make eye contact in an intersection so that I know the car knows I'm there. Don't be caught out at dusk and never ride into a setting sun. Wave to people along the way and make them a friend of cyclist on the road.

The winters are brutal here but I love the summers. On a Sunday morning I can ride for 30 to 40 miles and only see one or two cars on the road sometimes. I have miles and miles of empty farm roads to ride on where my biggest concern is a very fast dog. If I lived in a big city I'm not sure how often I would ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally don't cycle out on roads with traffic. I go around the lake here.

Ok occasionally I go on side streets with not much traffic. But I don't do the jaunts like most cyclists. Unless I am with a group.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Reading the thread about the cyclists who were killed a few miles from my office has heightened my concerns about returning to a regular cycling habit. As most of you know, my wife and I enjoyed cycling, not with the intensity and devotion of most of you, but we'd do the occasional century, and our typical ride was in the 25-50 mile range on Saturdays. Following my stupid accident 3+ years ago (broken radius and ulna which received two plates and ten screws), I haven't hit the road with any diligence since, due to a combination of fear and laziness.

In July, we're moving out to Pleasanton and the Livermore Valley where there is an abundance of nice routes. We've been talking about remounting our steeds after the distractions of selling a house and moving are behind us. But these stories of cyclists getting creamed by murderous/malicious/negligent (pick your adjective, the result is still the same) make me seriously consider whether I should choose another avocation. And while it would be nice to think the problem of drivers vs. cyclists will improve, I doubt very much it will. Indeed, here in the Bay Area, my sense is that drivers are becoming worse, not better.

So tell me, is it worth the risk?
Hell yes.

Riding is the spice of life; well I guess sex is the spice of life, but next to that, it's the spice of life, and it's a hell of a lot more available.

You can ride safely most of the time. I can think of few things I'd rather do that ride, unless it means, ride and look at the nice toosh of a good looking gal while riding.

I've had three major accidents and I get up and keep on riding. I say, "hell yes friend."

I ride in traffic, alone, in pelotons, off the back of pelotons and whenever, wherever, in wind, rain, snow, sleet, up north, down south. Have bike will ride.

Please ride. We have CG teams for the ULCER and many other events, though many wimp out.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've had three major accidents and I get up and keep on riding. I say, "hell yes friend."
If you ride with Arch just make sure he's behind you so you don't have to avoid him when he's going down.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
If you ride with Arch just make sure he's behind you so you don't have to avoid him when he's going down.
Just because I was checking on a friend and wanting to catch up after checking on him, but yeah when I go down, I go down in style.

If you don't ride, you'll be fat and old.

I refuse to be as old as Seattle Ute.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you should ride again. It is fun, good for you, and you know you like it. You are never too old to learn to overcome a fear.

In 1988 I was broadsided by a car that had run a stop sign. I did not suffer severe injuries, but had lots of road rash and a broken wrist, sprained ankle and a smashed vintage white with orange reflective striping Bell helmet. (At the time I was commuting between Mill Valley and SF and my wife agreed to let me do it on the condition that I wear my helmet, which I hated but agreed to do for her. The helmet almost certainly saved me from a severe and potentially fatal head injury. This is why I am a helmet Nazi now) It took me quite a while before I would ride again. But eventually I did and I am glad I did. You should ride too. Life si too short to be worried about things like asleep at the wheel sheriff's deputies.

Besides, if you are moving to Pleasanton, this summer my wife and I will ride our tandem around the back of Mt. Diablo and meet you and your wife for a ride together. Unless that is likely to make you not ride, in which case we won't. Your call.

The risk of dying in a bike accident has gone up in the bay area, according to the Chronicle, although the overall risk of getting in an accident has actually gone down, which article I suspect you read today. OTOH, my anecdotal experience says it is not really much different now than it was 10 or 15 years ago and it is much better than it was 30 years ago. As you may know, the studies show that there is a very steep curve that correlates with experience and the likelihood of avoiding an accident. That is, as you gain experience riding, you are much less likely to be in an accident. The curve is very steep for the first 3-5 years of experience, after that it levels off. For middle aged riders with lots of experience, the risk of being in an accident is much, much lower than it is for younger or inexperienced riders. I think this is attributable to the sort of wisdom shown by RC Viking in his post in this thread.

It is a great sport. Now if I would just get of my derriere gros and ride instead of type poorly about it, I would be happier and better off.

Last edited by creekster; 03-12-2008 at 01:44 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

After two back to back beautiful days here in the bubble where I was able to get out after work on both for a couple hours, my answer is a resounding ,YES you should ride again.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if PAC will be convinced by this. I'm somewhat in the same boat as him. Jogging is killing my body, so I've been thinking of buying a nice bike and getting serious, but am dissuaded by the many accidents I hear about. Many of you encourage him to ride, but you also have had serious accidents. It's not really encouraging to me.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote